Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectFOR SUDANI
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15639&mesg_id=15643
15643, FOR SUDANI
Posted by Solarus, Tue Apr-17-01 06:04 PM
To your request:

"i would like some examples of what practices disappeared among the Afrikans upon the spread of Islam and what were the practices replaced with, and why the non-muslim Afrikan feels the practices before were better compared to the ones that they were replaced with. Insha Allah."- from "How far do we go back?"

this passage reveals one in the discussion of the "hijab."

I also already discussed a key, more fundamental aspect in my delineation of the QURANIC (and I'm assuming, therefore "Allah's") negation of "divination, magic, etc." or rather the "occult." You should know more than me. If the Quran does not take a stance AGAINST the occult (divination) than I am wrong. IF IT DOES, then it is inherently ANTI-AFRAKAN as an understanding of the occult is central/core to any traditional Afrakan belief/spiritual system and I would also argue it is core to MANY non-Western spiritual systems (various Asian traditions, aboriginal Turtle Islanders (native americans), etc.). This stance of the occult has lead to the murder and supression of the priestly traditions of SEVERAL Afrakan groups by Arabs AND (especially) converted Afrakans (particularly modern-day Afrakan muslims and the ones in antiquity especially in West Afraka were not as "Muslim" as they may have professed. For why, see "GOD is IMMANENT" coming soon to a okayactivist board near you.)

For importance of divination in Afrakan traditions:
http://www.okayplayer.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/2430.html

For Breakdown of "occult" and Quranic references:
http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2454&forum=DCForumID1&omm=0

What it boils down to is this: DON'T FOOL YOURSELF.

The Quran and thereby Allah and HIS version of Islam (submission) is inherently against Afrakan traditions and core Afrakan beliefs. It's okay to admit it. This will not by any means hurt your belief and submission to HIM. To HIM, if Afrakan traditions were faulty and the "handiwork of Shaytan" then fine. I can accept that. WE can be HIS DEVIL. Just don't LIE and say what is, ISN'T.

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho