Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: They dont do it because they are poor,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=156&mesg_id=221
221, RE: They dont do it because they are poor,
Posted by insanejake, Tue Sep-14-04 06:04 AM
>NO. It is not normal for a member of a family to up and strap >explosives to themself and suicide bomb a civillian shopping >mall. They do it because there's an organized militant program >indoctrinating them then ordering the attack.

Ok, first of by normal, do you mean conforming to your moral/cultural ideals? In which case no, its not normal. I agree that there are people encouraging them to do stuff. But they dont need indoctrinating, they already think those things.

>so what about all the other wars where they don't do suicide >bombing on civillian targets?

The wars where they have armies?? The well, then it is about who has the bigger army usually. Guerilla tactics are the tactics that work. And generally when terrorists start attacking civilians, sooner or later they get their way to an extent. See S.Africa.

>*sigh* You know not everything revolves around America being >hypocritical

No, but its fun to always bring it up. Look for the forest in your own eye before taking the splinter out of your neighbours and all that.

>The US Army isn't going to brainwash anyone into carrying out a >suicide bombing. Wouldn't you say there's rather a lot of >difference between the "our side good, their side bad" >mentality and the "kill Jews become martyr" indoctrination?

Ok, for a start, if you can indoctrinate someone to drop a nuclear bomb, and not feel bad about it even fifty years later, that is some good brainwashing, no matter what the global situation was. And are you telling me there isnt a "kill towelheads solve terrorism" mentality in the US army? Like I said, I read some interviews with conscientious objectors, who said they first started having problems with what they were being asked to do in the combat training where they were made to stab dolls made up as arabs...

>>it's like if the Palestinians were using nuclear weapons, and >people started saying "as long as people are poor and in >despair they will use nuclear weapons." Seems silly to think of >it as an organic product of the situation
>
>No, because if they had nukes, they would be rich.

>like the Russians and the Chinese

Whats your point?