Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: yep
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=156&mesg_id=163
163, RE: yep
Posted by evoLenO, Wed Sep-08-04 01:21 PM
There have been some very religious tones and positions injected into the terrorism debates. The fact is the US (due particularly to 9/11) has been dragged into the world arena, as it relates to terrorism. There is one underlying fact of terrorism and it's relation to religion and that is terrorism itself is evil while religion (from most points of view) is not. Simply religions seek for the most part to achieve a moral, pure and righteous existence.

The problem arises when terrorism is used as a tool of EXTREMIST religious groups to force, their own warped sense of a moral, pure and righteous existences, on the world. I have a cousin who grew up in England and had a kid in school with him who was a devout Muslim didn't bother anyone and was relatively normal. One day a classmate said something about this kids faith, and without hesitation the kid turned around and stabbed the other classmate with a pencil.

The point I am trying to make is, it is impossible to understand any form of religious extremist, and also it is important to separate the extremist from the non-extremists. There are many followers of Islam living in this very country that are appalled at the atrocities being committed in the name of Islam. That said there are Christians in this country who are appalled at the atrocities being perpetrated by Bush in the name of their God. Christian extremists also exist. Whether or not they should be head of state is a question that will be answered in November.

Common came out with a song a few years back that always comes to mind when I think about religious choices, freedoms and beliefs. The title is G.O.D. (Gaining One's Definition), and what I feel is the most important line in his rhyme is "Who am I or they to say to whom you pray ain't right". The problems with our world today is Bush doesn't agree with this statement and neither do the Islamic extremist. Looking back on my cousin's story about his classmate, I realize that we will never understand WHY.