Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Preserving Blackness & Fear of Being Left Behind
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15536&mesg_id=15545
15545, RE: Preserving Blackness & Fear of Being Left Behind
Posted by M2, Wed May-02-01 07:21 AM
I think you missed the point of my comment about the Janitor. I wasn't calling a Janitor inherently inferior because of his job, income or race. Or saying that the white professional was better because of his job, income or race.

I'm talking about tools and what's best for the child. Children raised by professionals (regardless of race) are more likely to have a economically stable home environment, a safer home and neighboorhood environment and are more likely to attend college. This is not to say that the Janitor won't provide a good home or send his kid to college, but the kid has a better show with the professional.

These are kids who've been handed a bad hand by life, so I think it's imperative to put them in homes that will have the best chance of equipping them with the tools they need to succeed.

As for being called Nigger in the suburbs, let me tell you a story:

13 year old Boy (Me) was called Nigger by a classmate "Nigger reach your potential and put away my lunch Tray" I refused and received a Black eye and a Bloody nose for my troubles. The next day as I sit eating my lunch with the right left side of my face swollen.....he does it again. I thought for a second: "I'm barely over 5' tall and weight about 70 lbs, he's about 5'8" tall and probably weights twice what I do....hmm" So I picked up his lunch tray, and cracked him the face with it a few times.

He left me alone after that. :) Unfortunately for him though, I was stronger then him by high school and held a grudge }>

I got called Nigger a few other times, I dealt with it and moved on. Went back to my classes which stressed college EVERY DAY, went back to my teachers who told me I should take the SAT as Freshman, so that by the time Jr. year came around, I would be ready to crush that thing. Went to see my Guidance counselors who didn't really ask my opinion on what classes I wanted, they just said "M2 you need these to get into college, so this is what you're taking"

If you ask me, being called Nigger is insignificant next to good schools, a safe home and not worrying about having to sell drugs to survive, making it to your 18th birthday or not having good role models to help you succeed.

Besides, with all the White Liberal Guilt in the public School system, it's damn near impossible get in trouble for whupping a kids ass cuz he called you a nigger. }>

Peace,

M2