Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWHAT?!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15404&mesg_id=15439
15439, WHAT?!
Posted by M2, Wed May-02-01 05:17 PM
WHAT!

College is surely not the easy way out, it may not be a guarantee that you'll always be employed, it won't gurantee that you'll make a lot of money, but it for damn sure isn't an easy way out.

Some people don't major in things that equate to high paying careers, sometimes you get laid off due to economic downturns...but since that happens to everyone, I'd rather get laid off with a degree, because I'll have more options. But that's just me.

Another thing to consider is that the ceiling for college graduates (in terms of maximum income) is much higher for then for non graduates.

What college does is equip you for specific careers (medicine, law, psychiatry, accounting, engineering, etc) and in general, you can make more money as a college graduate then a non college graduate.

But, it doesn't mean it's an easy way out or that it's for lazy
people. You want to make it through college you need to work and if you want to make it afterwards...you DEFINITELY need to work hard.

That's what separates those that go to college and do marginally better then non graduates or just do ok, and college graduates that do really, really well. HARD WORK, knowing how to take advantage of opportunities and even a little work. BUT, luck can't help you if you don't work your butt off.

I'm a professional and almost all of my friends are college educated professionals, as are all of my colleagues & business associates/aquaintances.

On average we work 50-60 hour weeks. A typical day starts around 7 and ends around 5:30-6:00, we have to keep up with changes in the industry by reading when we get home and we sometimes have to do work on weekends.

Vacations? You're joking right? I haven't taken an actual Vacation in 2 years. Looking at my friends from college, I think one of us took a week vacation...but it was the only days he's really had off...and he's been at that job for 3 years.

College, No College....it doesn't matter. You want to succeed? It's a simple formula:

Hard Work + Smart Work + Knowledge to Seize Opportunities + Constant Learning = Success. Add a little luck to and you can succeed big.

College the easy way out, that's a joke......the last time I put in a 40 hour week was when I had my wisdom tooth pulled thursday afternoon and took the rest of that day and Friday morning off.

Peace,

M2