Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecttrivialization
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15404&mesg_id=15437
15437, trivialization
Posted by reefdogg, Sat May-05-01 12:00 PM
you're still trivializing the ambition needed to GO to college and to graduate ...

and i'm not talking about some well off family that's had a long history of college, i'm talking abotu my view as a person who has had to struggle to work in the 12 years leading up to college, and has been working my ass off in college

>well, I see finishing college not
>so much as an ambition
>thing, but a follow through
>thing. yeah, it takes hard
>work and dedication to finish,
>but college is still pretty
>much a "charted route", whereas
>someone who doesnt go to
>college has to shuffle their
>cards, and be a lil
>more creative and ambitious to
>find the avenues that lead
>to personal success.

not true. do you have any idea how many people drop out and/or are kicked out of college, especially in the african american community? there was a time at brown university when 1/4 of trhe african american male population was at least on serious warning (meaning one more fuck up and you're out). don't get it twisted, it is a bitch to finish college, especially when it's so easy to just leave and stil make it in life

>
>my aunt for instance. she aint
>go to college, but she
>shook shit up till she
>owned her own beauty parlor
>and was able to be
>self employed...that is ambition.
>
>then you got my uncle, he
>went to college, finished with
>very lil ambition,like "whada fucc
>do I do now?" and
>ended up gettin in some
>shit.

well i'm sorry that happened for your uncle, but you need ambition to make it IN college as well as out of it. not everyone in college takes full advantage of its opportunity, just like not everyone not in college takes full advantage of certain things. in short, it depends on the person ... your aunt would have been succesfful if she went to college cause of her ambition, and your uncle most likely would have failed even if he didnt go to school

>
>its like, your trained to go
>to school for the first
>20-somethin years of ya life,
>so thats all you know.

guess what? not everyone is. there are people that work their ass off even though they don't have to (read: a good chunk of the minority population that attends college)

>should you choose to go
>to college and finish, you
>simply continue on the route
>set for you. if you
>decide to stray, in order
>to be successful, you must
>have genuine AMBITION AND DRIVE....
>
>
>hope I made my previous ignant
>ass statement a lil clearer.

not really.

i don't agree with this oppositiion that you are creating. i place more emphasis on the person, not the situation. thus, someone like your aunt will find a way no matter what, while your uncle wouldnt

-------- B EZ ------------

IM and ICQ name: reefdogg1 (number one at the end)

Mondays, 9pm-12pm EST - hip hop by stressed Brown undergrads (yes, black people do exist in the Ivies!)
http://www.bsrlive.com

"It aint all about economy
so the fact that these wack emcees is making G's don't bother me
Honestly, my number one policy is quality
never sell my soul is my philosophy" - Binary Star