Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMaybe a another question is...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15404&mesg_id=15426
15426, Maybe a another question is...
Posted by Nettrice, Tue May-01-01 05:05 AM
...why do Black people stay and finish college? Who are those people who matriculated and graduated and what was their purpose? Even before post-secondary school, many Black youth drop out. The keyword is VALUE. Kids know when school and books are substandard. They know when the teachers they have to see every day con't care about their development or well-being and they know when teachers burn out. For those who do complete high-school, investing thousands or dollars in college is a hard thing to do unless they have goals.

I went to a private art college in Brooklyn and the middle of a Black community. I was on full scholarship so I did not have to stress over tuition ($$$). There was a large group of Black students, mostly commuters who matriculated part and full time. We found ways to bond and support each other but a few still dropped out. When my friends dropped out it was because of the money. They all felt they could put their money to be better use and did not value their college education.

When I started selling several of my paintings in my freshman and early sophmore year, I considered dropping out or taking a break to focus on art making (and selling). I talked to a teacher I respected and he gave me a good reason to stay in school. Soon after I found my purpose, I had a vision and a long-term goal that gave me a reason to stay and move on to grad school.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"