Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I don't know....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15404&mesg_id=15412
15412, RE: I don't know....
Posted by k_orr, Thu May-03-01 05:06 AM
>Hence, should
>the top 10% in "failing
>schools" be put ahead of
>the pack of, let's say,
>the 20 percentile of a
>top prep school?

I don't have an answer to that. Depends on what you want your student body to look like, and whether or not you think class room interaction is important.

At the law school level, places like Harvard and Yale can fill their classes with perfect GPA and perfect LSAT scores easily. Any of the big three could do this, and still have to cut other perfect candidates out. So if you only have 200 seats, but 300 perfect candidates, how do you decide? Law Schools argue that part of your education comes from the interaction with your fellow students. Thus diversity of experience and opinion make for a better law class than do strict numerical measurements.

Law School isn't like college though.

point 2

The system is as fair and capricious as the previous system of GPA and SAT. This just gives the GPA more weight.

>Maybe up north there would be
>alot of black majority schools,
>I doubt if there are
>that many in Florida, or
>maybe Texas, outside the metro
>areas.

There are plenty. But this speaks to the rural latino majority areas as well as the white rural areas. Who traditionally don't have access to a system that they pay for.

peace
k. orr