Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI don't know....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15404&mesg_id=15411
15411, I don't know....
Posted by Expertise, Wed May-02-01 11:45 AM
>he got the idea from his
>bro Dubya.
>Basically the top 10% at any
>high school gets admission into
>the state univerisities. So
>if you go to an
>all black highschool and do
>well, you can come to
>one of the best universities
>in the country (UT Austin).
>It's a good plan, better than
>the the one they have
>in place, which is none.
>But it doesn't deal with the
>imbalance in school district funding.

The problem I have with this idea is because not all schools are created equal. There are always going to be some schools tougher than others. I definitely know this, as I moved to a couple of different high schools, and I always ended up ahead of the other guys because they were behind on material. Hence, should the top 10% in "failing schools" be put ahead of the pack of, let's say, the 20 percentile of a top prep school?

Maybe up north there would be alot of black majority schools, I doubt if there are that many in Florida, or maybe Texas, outside the metro areas. But like you said, noone has thought of anything else, so I guess it'll do.

Fascist ethics begin ... with the acknowledgment that it is not the individual who confers a meaning upon society, but it is, instead, the existence of a human society which determines the human character of the individual. According to Fascism, a true, a great spiritual life cannot take place unless the State has risen to a position of pre-eminence in the world of man. The curtailment of liberty thus becomes justified at once, and this need of rising the State to its rightful position. - Mario Palmieri, "The Philosophy of Fascism" 1936

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

When will the world learn that a million men are of no importance compared with one man? - Henry David Thoreau

"In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, 'Make us your slaves, but feed us.'" - Dosteovsky's Grand Inquisitor.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

And always...my favorite....
Life is insensitive, and the truth can be highly offensive. To hide from either is to hide from the reality of life. Take comfort in the fact that I am an equal opportunity offender. You today. Someone else tomorrow. You have no Constitutional right not to be offended. - Neal Boortz