Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWords
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15277&mesg_id=15309
15309, Words
Posted by cued, Fri May-11-01 10:10 AM
POC is not merely a word that connotes an us vs them rhetoric, blue.

It is a word I use because I have never liked the idea of being referred to as a "minority." Everything from "there's nothing minor about me" to the truth that, in considering the world, people that look like me, meaning people with some color to them, who have some color before laying out in sunlight, are the majority people in this world.

It is a word that connects me to them instead of distancing me from them because I like to think of things as being connected instead of not.

Maybe you think of it as an us vs them rhetoric, but you are smart enough and intelligent enough to think of other ways in which it could be and _is_ used and to keep that in mind and be able to know the difference between when it is being used as us vs them rhetoric and when it is not.

Otherwise, you are only stirring shit up because you aren't understanding how words are being used and the many ways in which they can be used and I don't think that is your intention.

Peace,

Q

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali