Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectPeople of Color against each other
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15277
15277, People of Color against each other
Posted by cued, Thu May-10-01 02:49 PM
So,

I am on gay.com reading Keith Boykin's newest article about going to a bar in Boston called the Ramrod. In this bar, some white guy reached out and rubbed his head and Keith caught his hand and challenged his priviledge, his priviledge to just reach out and touch his head.

Keith went on to link this experience to the white priviledge that white gay men enjoy. However, this isn't my point.

So,

I have been away and was catching up on this board when I came across the responses to Keith's article. Typical responses from white people who were calling Keith racist and saying all sorts of stupid things. But as I continued to read, I started noticing other levels within that board -- I started noticing that other people of color who are not Black actively attacking Black people.

I know that this is... not new. That is part of the system to divide us from each other so that we cannot band together and as a people use our voices to collectively dismantle the dominant culture in America and make this place _really_ stand for the justice and freedom it supposes to stand for, nevertheless, I was taken aback and thought to ask y'all what you thought about this.

I don't know how to feel when people of color start... hacking away at each other... and it seems pretty senseless as well. None of us, not one of us are benefiting from being people of color in America. In fact, most often, we seem to only be "exotic" for whatever fashion season and then... that's it.

Why do we attack each other?

Do you bear any... unsavory feelings towards other groups of color? Why?

How do we heal this and make it so that we can begin to make inroads amongst ourselves?

Peace,

Q


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali



15278, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by Baron, Thu May-10-01 03:19 PM
Fuck 'em all. If you're not black, you're white. And black an white don't get along right now.
15279, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 08:48 AM
naw....dude trippin...cuz I consider latino's as cool peoples. hell,its been times when they held me down when my "brothas n sistas" turned they back. its because they are more giving and have more hospitality as a people...especially my cuban folks(BIG UP!!!!!)...it has more to do with our loss of identity and culture as people than anything. So we are a divided people and often compete with each other ova stupid shit.

I see jamaicans, hatians, puerto ricans, cubans, and ESPECIALLY MEXICANS rockin they flags and I look at that wit envy really. cuz I dont have a flag to rock and be proud of. I DAMN SHO AINT ROCKIN THE AMERIKKKAN FLAG!!!!

but yet latinos and blacks dont really chill all to tight sometimes. thats sad to me.

white people....they a whole different story. I dont believe they are bad cuz they are white, but I do believe that being white and the social shit that comes wit being white has fucked up alota white folk. but then again, history has them doin some ill shit...they feel a need to conquer everydamn thang, they just cant chill...I dunno.

but despite my experiences and knowlege of history, I try hard to refrain from becoming racist. but that shit is hard sometimes, ya kna? they be givin me reasons on top of reasons to hate they ass. but I aint mad. or am I??????
15280, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by cued, Fri May-11-01 10:03 AM
You are a person of color; you can't be racist, but you know what, I'm glad you don't wanna be a bigot. *smiles*

And I especially hear what you are saying about how white culture has really messed up a lot of white people and how their history and stuff ties in with it... that is a whole post in itself!

We should all be for and with each other... should is a hard word, though... all we can do is start the process and pass it along, know what I mean?

Peace,

Q




^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali



15281, Uhhh...
Posted by Solarus, Fri May-11-01 10:55 AM
"latinos" can be black and most cubans are... soy panameno.

From "Latinos=White Supremacist Spanish Hodge-Podge" at http://www.okayplayer.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1384&forum=DCForumID1&archive=yes#13:

"I am Latino. I am Black. I am African. No I am not mixed but I am all of these things based on the categorization of European languages. Latino refers to anyone from "Latin America.""

Just thought I throw that one in there...

PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho
15282, Actually...
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 01:28 PM
>"latinos" can be black and most
>cubans are... soy panameno.

Most Cubans in the US are white. The eastern end of Cuba is mostly black, while the western end and Habana is mostly white.

JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15283, Most Cubans
Posted by Solarus, Fri May-11-01 01:39 PM
In CUBA are black. Blacks consist of the majority on the island.


PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho
15284, Western ideology
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 01:44 PM
>In CUBA are black. Blacks
>consist of the majority on
>the island.

Black by American standards, multi-racial by global standards. I hope your not using Western ideology to classify your Cuban brethren.


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15285, No,
Posted by Solarus, Fri May-11-01 02:53 PM
I let my AFRAKAN brethren in Cuba tell me that...

BTW aren't you the one who said that Christina Aguilera wasn't "white", but instead she was "latino?" Yeah that was you, so why are you talking on this subject?

Be quiet and pay attention...


PEace
Solarus

***Words of Wisdom***

"If it's not about NATIONBUILDING, it's not about ANYTHING."- Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"We are not the victims! We are just fighting forces that we cannot see!"-2001 Sankofa Conference

"You don't have the RIGHT to have free time from your children."-Kwame Agyei Akoto

"It is the worst feeling to hear the call of the drum and not be able to respond."-Solarus

On understanding Afrakan thought:
"it's like explaining astrophysics to a whino, the explanation can't be done like that. when people try to simplify it, they ask the other person to tailor the answers their cultural context. and trying to cater afrikan ideals to european understanding is a REAL sin."-utamaroho
15286, I'm your copy editor.
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 03:06 PM
>I let my AFRAKAN brethren in
>Cuba tell me that...
>
>BTW aren't you the one who
>said that Christina Aguilera wasn't
>"white", but instead she was
>"latino?" Yeah that was
>you, so why are you
>talking on this subject?
>
>Be quiet and pay attention...

That was a different context. I don't know what your point is, nor do I really care. I just want to keep your facts factual. In this case they're incorrect. Don't test me on my knowledge of Cuba.


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15287, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by guest, Thu May-10-01 03:33 PM
>Why do we attack each other?
>
>
>Do you bear any... unsavory feelings
>towards other groups of color?
>Why?
>

What makes you think there is more of a bond between non-white ethnic groups than there is between non-black groups?


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15288, maybe...
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 06:17 AM
because we live in a white supremicist society?
------------------------
to aim
is to take oneself too seriously
by focusing without instead of within

re arrange and re member

aim...i am

the right letters are there
it's the wrong composition

-saul williams
15289, what if they
Posted by k_orr, Fri May-11-01 07:05 AM
support that same white supremacist society? They think they're different from us, because

- their family emigrated
- they're educated
- their parents didn't speak a lick of english and now they own 10 businesses..

Particularly with my Indian and Asian brethren, there is a certain, we did it, why can't you, why are you people always complaining attitude.

Quick disclaimer, Of course this just a small cross section of my multi-cultural experience, and doesn't nearly describe everyone I've met.

But I would be remiss if I didn't notice that thought pattern, particularly with folks I know as acquaintances. I get a lot of "you're okay, you're not like the rest of them", at which point I break them down and let them know how it works.

And in the same breath they will say something is ghetto. But let something go against em, and suddenly they start hollering racism too.

peace
k. orr
15290, RE: what if they
Posted by AZ, Fri May-11-01 07:16 AM
I know what you're talking about. I'm Pakistani and I see it all the time. Some POCs have totally bought into the idea of white supremecy. Not necessarily consciously, but on an unconscious level. They figure if they can show that they are not one of "them", then white people will accept them - and that's usually their ultimate goal - assimilation. They've also bought into the white version of history, or ignore history completely. But this is just a portion of the people I've come across, I've also met a lot of Asians doing really cool work too.

15291, Why should they?
Posted by k_orr, Fri May-11-01 07:11 AM

What's in it for them?

Particularly if they are benefitting from it, like businesses in our neighborhoods that don't reinvest. (drycleaners, corner stores, hair and nail shops, the list goes on)

What if they think we're after their women. ( a comment I got from some Latino cat)

We should really be concerned with our own unity first. Other minority groups seems to have it on lock, and as a result their communities are doing better for it.

peace
k. orr
15292, hats off to k-orr
Posted by dafriquan, Fri May-11-01 10:07 AM
most of the time when it comes to race issues you just breaK IT DOWN to the plain truth.
just wanted to give you props!
anyway you're right. why should we unite. the only thing "colored" people have in common is that they are not white. that's reason for unity? and like you pointed out, everybody got they own agenda anyway...meaning "us" vs "them" is only the last resort when the assimilation process is going to smoothly.
rich black people do the same shit too i.e. actively seek alliegance only when they get in some shit.
personally i adher to the principle that we're all individuals. white, black, yellow, brown...everyone is equally likely to stab you in the back or give you a hand up when someone else does it.
SIGNATURE STARTS YONDER
"Put his ass in a 8' by 10' windowless room with Suge and ShYne"-sundasill on what he would do to puff daddy for musical rehab.
**************************
:-)NE LOVE/N:-(LOVE
(THE C:PHICE IS Y:9URS)
**************************
The emoticon as 'O' symbol is a registered trademark of dafriquan.
No biting without written permission.
*************************

15293, the idea
Posted by DonKnutts, Fri May-11-01 07:34 AM
of "people of color" is really just a false construct catered to middle class college kids so they can stand aside from whitey on campus.

in the real world, "people of color" as a group do not exist. it's every man for himself.
15294, to add insult to injury:
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 07:57 AM
white supremecists aren't bound to the "whites only" doctrine as much as we try to pigeonhole them....even the Nazis formed a strong alliance with the Japanese.....the POC title is hilarious to me anyway....everyone has a color or we wouldn't see them......(sidenote: maybe we should discuss Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man).......


↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15295, RE: the idea
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 08:56 AM
naw, I wouldnt say that. well, that shit is true on a lower level, but in the big picture, europeans have always fucked wit people of color. Its a subliminal thing perhaps, most of the world has melanin, and they dont. they jeaolus. some may see that as a racist statement, but I present two words of indestructable proof.

Tanning salons.

whadafuc Is that bout? they hate us cuz we dark, yet they always talkin bout "tall DARK and HANDSOME" and spend good money to get tans.

It trips me out when I hear a white person say, "I need to tan this summer, im so pale" ......thats how god made ya...live wit it. and then they catch skin cancer from layin in the sun wit no melanin to protect them.

so they got to have some sort of shit on they minds to explain the behavior.
15296, they (euros) do have melanin & color....
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 09:00 AM
some basic biology for you.....POC is a nice code word that really translates to us vs. them. Start trying to draw lines and watch them get blurred.....


↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15297, RE: they (euros) do have melanin & color....
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 09:08 AM
since when???????? they look white to me!!!!! I aint clownin, if you know somethin I dont, enlighten me.
15298, RE: they (euros) do have melanin & color....
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 09:13 AM
whateva the deal wit the melanin thing, explain the tanning salon shit? why do they do that????? white people also have a way of steeling peoples culture, the same people they have labeled as inferior and what not.

shit like fen schui, jazz, and a whole lotta otha shit. they are an evious people for some reason. I aint sayin that outa hate, im sayin that outa observation.
15299, perception:
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 09:42 AM
>whateva the deal wit the melanin
>thing, explain the tanning salon
>shit? why do they do
>that?????

no idea on that one....

white people also have
>a way of steeling peoples
>culture, the same people they
>have labeled as inferior and
>what not.

how do you steal culture? and who owns culture? how can they become sole proprietors of culture?

>shit like fen schui, jazz, and
>a whole lotta otha shit.
> they are an evious
>people for some reason. I
>aint sayin that outa hate,
>im sayin that outa observation.

envious? nah....conqueror mentality (war-like) in cultural terms, yes.....




↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15300, RE: perception:
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 09:55 AM
well, steal..ya kna...theft. when you take somethin and act like its ya own....rock n roll for instance...theft. thats a played out example, but you get the idea.

and the tanning salon shit is jealousy. them wanting to have bases everywhere in the world, thats conquering mentality.

another good example. dont laugh!!! but im from the south, and we luv soul food down here. shit like chitlins, ox tails, neckbones and the like used to be cheap til white folk started buying that shit.

and the whole hip hop phenomenon. dont get me wrong, I welcome white folk who respect and deal wit hip hop in a true fashion. but they was laughin at niggas when we first started that shit. now everythang is hip hop. go figure.

here is another one. they steal inventions and Ideas. ima dig up a link to support that, if I can find it again.
15301, The same reason...
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 12:19 PM
>whateva the deal wit the melanin
>thing, explain the tanning salon
>shit? why do they do
>that???

The same reason some blacks straighten their hair.

>white people also have
>a way of steeling peoples
>culture, the same people they
>have labeled as inferior and
>what not.

In America we all borrow a little from here and a little from there.


>shit like fen schui, jazz, and
>a whole lotta otha shit.

Shaolin warriors, European musical instruments, battered and fried food


> they are an evious
>people for some reason. I
>aint sayin that outa hate,
>im sayin that outa observation.

Most people borrow from cultures other than their own. Try and tell me that everything you wear, listen too, eat and believe in comes from Africa or black culture.


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15302, lawd....
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 09:38 AM
>since when???????? they look white to
>me!!!!! I aint clownin, if
>you know somethin I dont,
>enlighten me.

Look at the backgroung of this message board....it is white...euros do not look white...they have a color (hue) range from sorta-pink to peach to tan to brown.......this is basic color theory......albinos are the only people that do not produce melanin....euros, by and large, do produce melanin.....once again biology 101.....

(I am really hoping you are joking with your reply)


↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15303, RE: lawd....
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 09:47 AM
you an asshole on purpose? or you just cant help that shit???
no, really, cuz you an asshole. asshole.

pink, cream, whateva you wanna call it you anal muffuka U. they look white. and this biology 101 shit, my bad if I aint learn bout white folks havin melanin, I was prolly fingerin some cutie in the back of the class when they taught that one. I aint always pay attention like I should. sue me.

besides, you know whudafuk I meant. stop playin smart ass and answer the fukin question.


why are the "pink" ones jealous of the brown, yellow, dark brown and taupe ones? yeah I said taupe muffuka...since you wanna be all specific and shit.

answer that smart ass!!!!! since you wanna clown folk.

15304, I answered your question asshole.
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 09:53 AM
>you an asshole on purpose? or
>you just cant help that
>shit???
>no, really, cuz you an asshole.
>asshole.

evidently on purpose.

>pink, cream, whateva you wanna call
>it you anal muffuka U.
>they look white. and this
>biology 101 shit, my bad
>if I aint learn bout
>white folks havin melanin, I
>was prolly fingerin some cutie
>in the back of the
>class when they taught that
>one. I aint always pay
>attention like I should.
>sue me.
>
>besides, you know whudafuk I meant.
>stop playin smart ass and
>answer the fukin question.

I did...reading is fundamental.

>why are the "pink" ones jealous
>of the brown, yellow, dark
>brown and taupe ones? yeah
>I said taupe muffuka...since you
>wanna be all specific and
>shit.
>
>answer that smart ass!!!!! since you
>wanna clown folk.

I didn't outright clown you, nor did I resort to name-calling. Your ignorance is phenomenal....go back to school and try to learn something this time instead of fingering STD-laden fish. If you want to take part in a discussion, at least display some level of intelligence....you're making your parents look bad.


↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15305, RE: I answered your question asshole.
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 10:00 AM
whateva man. you still an asshole. and ma dukes would tell ya the same. asshole.

but nevatheless, it is friday, and I am officially done wit my work week and dealing with jealous "albinos" for the day. so im out. take care and everybody be safe....

yes even you asshole...especially you. I want you to stay chill so I can call you an asshole again another day...asshole..

I like dat...asshole....it fits you.....

naw, better yet, since you all prim and proper, ima just cut the bullshit and call ya rectum...or sphincter or sommem.

PEACE....
15306, and this is why your life isn't worth the 0.5 second nut your dad gave your mother.
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 10:03 AM
Ignorant fuck. Don't breed. Stay out of the gene pool.

↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15307, dun...
Posted by Ape Redwood, Fri May-11-01 11:47 AM
I mostly agreed with what you were saying but theres no need for for all this disrespectful language. Relax...


15308, Come On!!!!
Posted by cued, Fri May-11-01 10:16 AM
Blu,

you know what he means... and while it is a good thing to gently correct these things, to act as if you don't know what he means... they mean... seems... suspect.

As for appropriation... I don't practice fung shei. When I write in a certain style, I am quick to point out where the influence comes from. I understand things as coming from somewhere else, not mine to mess with and fuck with at will and in the end pretend as if I created it...

That's what dude was getting at.

Peace,

Q


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali



15309, Words
Posted by cued, Fri May-11-01 10:10 AM
POC is not merely a word that connotes an us vs them rhetoric, blue.

It is a word I use because I have never liked the idea of being referred to as a "minority." Everything from "there's nothing minor about me" to the truth that, in considering the world, people that look like me, meaning people with some color to them, who have some color before laying out in sunlight, are the majority people in this world.

It is a word that connects me to them instead of distancing me from them because I like to think of things as being connected instead of not.

Maybe you think of it as an us vs them rhetoric, but you are smart enough and intelligent enough to think of other ways in which it could be and _is_ used and to keep that in mind and be able to know the difference between when it is being used as us vs them rhetoric and when it is not.

Otherwise, you are only stirring shit up because you aren't understanding how words are being used and the many ways in which they can be used and I don't think that is your intention.

Peace,

Q



^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali



15310, I just like clarity and precision......
Posted by bluetiger, Fri May-11-01 10:26 AM
>POC is not merely a word
>that connotes an us vs
>them rhetoric, blue.
>
>It is a word I use
>because I have never liked
>the idea of being referred
>to as a "minority." Everything
>from "there's nothing minor about
>me" to the truth that,
>in considering the world, people
>that look like me, meaning
>people with some color to
>them, who have some color
>before laying out in sunlight,
>are the majority people in
>this world.

The term minority is not on my favorite list either. It smacks of supremacy code-words to me.

>It is a word that connects
>me to them instead of
>distancing me from them because
>I like to think of
>things as being connected instead
>of not.

True...

>Maybe you think of it as
>an us vs them rhetoric,
>but you are smart enough
>and intelligent enough to think
>of other ways in which
>it could be and _is_
>used and to keep that
>in mind and be able
>to know the difference between
>when it is being used
>as us vs them rhetoric
>and when it is not.

I just like clarity and precision......

>Otherwise, you are only stirring shit
>up because you aren't understanding
>how words are being used
>and the many ways in
>which they can be used
>and I don't think that
>is your intention.
>
>Peace,
>
>Q


Not my intention...and as much as we have argued, you should know I'm a stickler for being exact & factual....and at getting to the core of what people are saying/what they are about....

The terms "white" & "POC" can both be picked apart for their meanings and intended definitions....I dislike both of them because it continues the language of supremacist thought...

*my technique (and intent) is always water when it comes to fiery rhetoric.....fighting fire with fire just leaves a lot of things/people/bridges burned*



↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15311, Wrong
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 01:14 PM
>POC is not merely a word
>that connotes an us vs
>them rhetoric, blue.
>
>It is a word I use
>because I have never liked
>the idea of being referred
>to as a "minority." Everything
>from "there's nothing minor about
>me" to the truth that,
>in considering the world, people
>that look like me, meaning
>people with some color to
>them, who have some color
>before laying out in sunlight,
>are the majority people in
>this world.

We've gone over this a hundred effing times. That is not correct! Chinese, Russians, Europeans and Anglo-Americans far out number Africans and those descended from Africans. Your definition is greatly flawed:

There are Europeans (Greeks, Italians, Portuguese) who have "color" without laying in sun.

There are non-Europeans (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese) who do not have "color" without laying in the sun.

Also your definition of color is completely arbitrary. Albinos have no "color" compared to English people. Chinese people have
no "color" compared to Greek people.


>It is a word that connects
>me to them instead of
>distancing me from them because
>I like to think of
>things as being connected instead
>of not.

Do you think Chinese in China feel some bond to Nigerians in Nigeria???

>Maybe you think of it as
>an us vs them rhetoric,
>but you are smart enough
>and intelligent enough to think
>of other ways in which
>it could be and _is_
>used and to keep that
>in mind and be able
>to know the difference between
>when it is being used
>as us vs them rhetoric
>and when it is not.

I think it is a desparate attempt by elite African-Americans to create a larger group identity now that Latinos have surpassed them as the largest non-white group. Also, most non-white groups have been much more successful at economic self-sufficiency than blacks. Maybe POC is an attempt to share in this growth???

>Otherwise, you are only stirring shit
>up because you aren't understanding
>how words are being used
>and the many ways in
>which they can be used
>and I don't think that
>is your intention.

Words are used differently by all who use them.


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15312, actually
Posted by Ailyha, Sat May-12-01 06:11 AM
its a deficiency of melanin
peace
a

Please, just hurt my feelings a lil fuckin' more, okaybastard?

"All this racial idealism bothers me, because no one wants to keep it real! Wrote a poem about it, here it go..." - Spicy Mic Night 2001

If we had to depend on Black folks to support us, we'd starve to death - a paraphrase from mo' betta blues or some spike lee joint...

Anybody remember those black drat commercials?

Just call me Big Horny. Yeah, that's right!

All these mugmuckin' haters, got to shake dem off!

Serenity Now, Serenity Now! - Jerry Stiller
15313, albinos have a melanin deficiency...euros do not.....
Posted by bluetiger, Sat May-12-01 06:55 AM
......


↑ yours

"unadulterated hate, so ugly" - binlahab

&

*May is Hate Prince Month at OKP*
15314, so you don't think
Posted by LexM, Mon May-14-01 09:55 AM
>in the real world, "people of
>color" as a group do
>not exist. it's every man
>for himself.

"people of color" have anything in common in America? I understand what you mean in an international context, but here, aren't we all subject to similar forms of racism & discrimination?



~~~SPITFIRE: 6/28/01~~~
carameldom@hotmail.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bmore-Okayplayers
(((oh yeah...do us a favor & vote: http://www.geocities.com/bmorestreetwise/flyers.html)))

"cats pop champagne/over misery and pain/like slaves on the ship/talkin 'bout/who got the flyest chains" ~~Talib Kweli

"you can't fool me! I'm too stupid!" (c) a random warner bros. cartoon character
15315, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by Baron, Fri May-11-01 08:22 AM
There's a lot of Arabs around where I live, and if you asked what race they were most would say that they're white. They are always quick to make black jokes even though a lot of them listen to rap music like Tupac. That's another thing I can't stand, people of other races talking shit about black people but then copy us by mimicking our fashion styles and listening to our music and such. But when some white people let them know that they don't like them, they either yell racism or have nothing to say back at all. To me, a lot of these other minorities are nothing more than whites without the European descent, or white wannabes who are trying their best to assimilate into this white supremacist society. They have gotten used to the media always portraying blacks as bad and therefore find it easy pick on us and talk about us always complaining while they do the exact same things we do when confronted with the same problems.

The black community needs to try working together as whole and actually start supporting one another so that other minorities can't open up their businesses in our communities and taking our money without giving anything back. But for that to happen we need to get rid of a lot of the self hate and bickering between different factions of our community to start making huge strides forward again.
15316, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by DonKnutts, Fri May-11-01 08:25 AM
That's
>another thing I can't stand,
>people of other races talking
>shit about black people but
>then copy us by mimicking
>our fashion styles and listening
>to our music and such.
> But when some white
>people let them know that
>they don't like them, they
>either yell racism or have
>nothing to say back at
>all. To me, a
>lot of these other minorities
>are nothing more than whites
>without the European descent, or
>white wannabes who are trying
>their best to assimilate into
>this white supremacist society.
>They have gotten used to
>the media always portraying blacks
>as bad and therefore find
>it easy pick on us
>and talk about us always
>complaining while they do the
>exact same things we do
>when confronted with the same
>problems.

what would you say to the Korean deli owners targeted during the L.A. riots?
15317, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 09:07 AM
that shit was wrong to fuck wit the koreans. but I understand why they did it. Black people as a whole are confused as to who the enemy is, if there really is an enemy. Really, the enemy is perpetuated ignorance, but the fact that blacks dont have any solid foundation or knowlege of their true "roots" dont help the situation.

so we lash out.

Its been said that Black Afrikans dont really like Afrikan amerikkkans. folks from the west indies dont really too much care for us either. its cuz they still have a bit of their roots intact, and they look at us( who have been robbed of heritage and givin a new "amerikkkan" culture and way of thinking) as flawed, lazy, unapreciative and all that negative shit.

fucked up thing is they right bout alot of it.
15318, RE: People of Color against each other
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 09:01 AM
yo, i feel ya on that one. I knew this indian cat who chilled wit black folk and swore he was a no limit soldier. but then he started to "assimilate" because he felt trapped between black and white social shit. so now he all preped up and lookin goofy and shit. thoroughly confused. and during his assimilation I would be on the verge of smakin him for sayin all types of ill shit. type of shit you can tell he picked up from chillin wit da white boyz.

but when I met him, he swore he was black.go figure.
15319, Ohhhhhh nooooooo!
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 01:26 PM
>yo, i feel ya on that
>one. I knew this indian
>cat who chilled wit black
>folk and swore he was
>a no limit soldier. but
>then he started to "assimilate"
>because he felt trapped between
>black and white social shit.
>so now he all preped
>up and lookin goofy and
>shit.

He went preppy!!!!????? What a disaster. You can't be seen with that, right player.

>thoroughly confused. and during
>his assimilation I would be
>on the verge of smakin
>him for sayin all types
>of ill shit. type of
>shit you can tell he
>picked up from chillin wit
>da white boyz.

Sounds like the dude is confused, what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

>but when I met him, he
>swore he was black.go figure.

And you believed him?


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15320, Word ! n/m
Posted by cued, Fri May-11-01 10:19 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*********^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uplifting thoughts:

"We are the end result of our ancestors prayers as they died. We you are the sum total of their answered prayers."

"I am because we are; we are because I am."

"falling in love with somebody's soul...their essence their personality their walk their talk the way they speak and smile...no matter what the physical outer body is..male or female...is a temptation i hope i am never foolish enough to resist." - Hot Damali



15321, You mean...
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 01:22 PM
>There's a lot of Arabs around
>where I live, and if
>you asked what race they
>were most would say that
>they're white. They are
>always quick to make black
>jokes even though a lot
>of them listen to rap
>music like Tupac. That's
>another thing I can't stand,
>people of other races talking
>shit about black people but
>then copy us by mimicking
>our fashion styles and listening
>to our music and such.

You mean like when blacks talk about whitey-this and whitey-that then go out and fiend after the newest Nikes and Tommy gear???

> But when some white
>people let them know that
>they don't like them, they
>either yell racism or have
>nothing to say back at
>all. To me, a
>lot of these other minorities
>are nothing more than whites
>without the European descent, or
>white wannabes who are trying
>their best to assimilate into
>this white supremacist society.

Maybe your a little frustrated at their success as a non-white group?

>They have gotten used to
>the media always portraying blacks
>as bad and therefore find
>it easy pick on us
>and talk about us always
>complaining while they do the
>exact same things we do
>when confronted with the same
>problems.

They say the first word an immigrant learns when he steps off the boat is "nigger." I think a lot of new immigrants think they have to be racist to be a true "American."

>The black community needs to try
>working together as whole and
>actually start supporting one another
>so that other minorities can't
>open up their businesses in
>our communities and taking our
>money without giving anything back.

Blah...blah...blah
For how long is that going to be discussed?
Meanwhile ten new Korean groceries just opened up down the street.

> But for that to
>happen we need to get
>rid of a lot of
>the self hate and bickering
>between different factions of our
>community to start making huge
>strides forward again.

No, each individual just needs to save and invest.


JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--
15322, RE: You mean...
Posted by Baron, Fri May-11-01 04:28 PM
>>There's a lot of Arabs around
>>where I live, and if
>>you asked what race they
>>were most would say that
>>they're white. They are
>>always quick to make black
>>jokes even though a lot
>>of them listen to rap
>>music like Tupac. That's
>>another thing I can't stand,
>>people of other races talking
>>shit about black people but
>>then copy us by mimicking
>>our fashion styles and listening
>>to our music and such.
>
>You mean like when blacks talk
>about whitey-this and whitey-that then
>go out and fiend after
>the newest Nikes and Tommy
>gear???

Or it's like when whites and non-whites alike talk about nigger this and nigger that, then go and listen to Tupac or some Cash Money record that they own. And it's like how whites stole rock and roll some 40 or 50 sumthin' years ago, and now they all believe that they invented it. If we actually had enough people rich enough to have their own shoe companies and more clothing brands and such, they wouldn't have to flock to Nike and Tommy. But also, too many flock for everything that's a big namebrand product instead of supporting things made by their own people. If blacks can get more people into the shoe industry and such, and get others to stop following all of the mass commercialism, then we'll start to support each other more.


>> But when some white
>>people let them know that
>>they don't like them, they
>>either yell racism or have
>>nothing to say back at
>>all. To me, a
>>lot of these other minorities
>>are nothing more than whites
>>without the European descent, or
>>white wannabes who are trying
>>their best to assimilate into
>>this white supremacist society.
>
>Maybe your a little frustrated at
>their success as a non-white
>group?

No, for the most part the Arabs only own corner stores and gas stations. And they don't have to pay taxes as long as they keep bringing in someone new every seven years from Iraq. I don't like that fact that they and others put their corner stores in black neighborhoods and are willing to take black money, but love to to talk shit about blacks once they get back home or around their people. I don't care if another non-white group is successful, I'm sick of them and whites taking advantage of blacks and ridiculing our race at the same time.

>>They have gotten used to
>>the media always portraying blacks
>>as bad and therefore find
>>it easy pick on us
>>and talk about us always
>>complaining while they do the
>>exact same things we do
>>when confronted with the same
>>problems.
>
>They say the first word an
>immigrant learns when he steps
>off the boat is "nigger."

They are right.

> I think a lot
>of new immigrants think they
>have to be racist to
>be a true "American."
>
>>The black community needs to try
>>working together as whole and
>>actually start supporting one another
>>so that other minorities can't
>>open up their businesses in
>>our communities and taking our
>>money without giving anything back.
>
>Blah...blah...blah
>For how long is that going
>to be discussed?
>Meanwhile ten new Korean groceries just
>opened up down the street.

Ooohhh, I'm sorry for actually caring about my community. Maybe to your white ass everything is individual and you really shouldn't care about everyone else around you. That's how many whites think because they came from the majority race in this country and it's easier for them to turn their lives around with loans and such than it is for blacks so they have no need to help one another, whether you want to believe that or not. But for blacks who have been discriminated and ridiculed against as a whole, some of us actually feel a common bond with one another and actually want to see the race as a whole move forward, not just a very small percentage of us.

>
>> But for that to
>>happen we need to get
>>rid of a lot of
>>the self hate and bickering
>>between different factions of our
>>community to start making huge
>>strides forward again.
>
>No, each individual just needs to
>save and invest.

Maybe this is nothing more than an individuality issue to you, but if a black person becomes successful and opens a business in his neighborhood, he will more than likely want to give back to the community and help others to make it. Maybe not all the time, but there is more of a chance he'll feel more connected to the people he's doing business with and want to help them, than some Korean who just opens a store in a black neighborhood and follows every black customer that walks in there.



15323, RE: You mean...
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 05:51 PM
>>>There's a lot of Arabs around
>>>where I live, and if
>>>you asked what race they
>>>were most would say that
>>>they're white. They are
>>>always quick to make black
>>>jokes even though a lot
>>>of them listen to rap
>>>music like Tupac. That's
>>>another thing I can't stand,
>>>people of other races talking
>>>shit about black people but
>>>then copy us by mimicking
>>>our fashion styles and listening
>>>to our music and such.
>>
>>You mean like when blacks talk
>>about whitey-this and whitey-that then
>>go out and fiend after
>>the newest Nikes and Tommy
>>gear???
>
>Or it's like when whites and
>non-whites alike talk about nigger
>this and nigger that, then
>go and listen to Tupac
>or some Cash Money record
>that they own. And
>it's like how whites stole
>rock and roll some 40
>or 50 sumthin' years ago,
>and now they all believe
>that they invented it.
>If we actually had enough
>people rich enough to have
>their own shoe companies and
>more clothing brands and such,
>they wouldn't have to flock
>to Nike and Tommy.
>But also, too many flock
>for everything that's a big
>namebrand product instead of supporting
>things made by their own
>people. If blacks can
>get more people into the
>shoe industry and such, and
>get others to stop following
>all of the mass commercialism,
>then we'll start to support
>each other more.

You mean when blacks talk about "the man this" and "the man that" then run out and support Democrats at a 9:1 ration who will sell them out to big business in a second.

>
>
>>> But when some white
>>>people let them know that
>>>they don't like them, they
>>>either yell racism or have
>>>nothing to say back at
>>>all. To me, a
>>>lot of these other minorities
>>>are nothing more than whites
>>>without the European descent, or
>>>white wannabes who are trying
>>>their best to assimilate into
>>>this white supremacist society.
>>
>>Maybe your a little frustrated at
>>their success as a non-white
>>group?
>
>No, for the most part the
>Arabs only own corner stores
>and gas stations. And
>they don't have to pay
>taxes as long as they
>keep bringing in someone new
>every seven years from Iraq.
> I don't like that
>fact that they and others
>put their corner stores in
>black neighborhoods and are willing
>to take black money, but
>love to to talk shit
>about blacks once they get
>back home or around their
>people. I don't care
>if another non-white group is
>successful, I'm sick of them
>and whites taking advantage of
>blacks and ridiculing our race
>at the same time.

Of course they pay taxes. Your seeking to stem the growth of other ethnic groups because you think blacks aren't keeping up with them. If blacks opened the businesses first there would be no room for other ethnic groups to move in.


>>>They have gotten used to
>>>the media always portraying blacks
>>>as bad and therefore find
>>>it easy pick on us
>>>and talk about us always
>>>complaining while they do the
>>>exact same things we do
>>>when confronted with the same
>>>problems.
>>
>>They say the first word an
>>immigrant learns when he steps
>>off the boat is "nigger."
>
>They are right.
>
>> I think a lot
>>of new immigrants think they
>>have to be racist to
>>be a true "American."
>>
>>>The black community needs to try
>>>working together as whole and
>>>actually start supporting one another
>>>so that other minorities can't
>>>open up their businesses in
>>>our communities and taking our
>>>money without giving anything back.
>>
>>Blah...blah...blah
>>For how long is that going
>>to be discussed?
>>Meanwhile ten new Korean groceries just
>>opened up down the street.
>
>Ooohhh, I'm sorry for actually caring
>about my community. Maybe
>to your white ass everything
>is individual and you really
>shouldn't care about everyone else
>around you. That's how
>many whites think because they
>came from the majority race
>in this country and it's
>easier for them to turn
>their lives around with loans
>and such than it is
>for blacks so they have
>no need to help one
>another, whether you want to
>believe that or not.
>But for blacks who have
>been discriminated and ridiculed against
>as a whole, some of
>us actually feel a common
>bond with one another and
>actually want to see the
>race as a whole move
>forward, not just a very
>small percentage of us.

Kid, you don't know where I've come from and where I've been. Why you gotta personalize shit? I'm actually playing the devil's advocate with a lot of shit...trying to spark your mind. Obviuosly it worked. My point is: complaining will get you nowhere, community building will get you everywhere.


>>
>>> But for that to
>>>happen we need to get
>>>rid of a lot of
>>>the self hate and bickering
>>>between different factions of our
>>>community to start making huge
>>>strides forward again.
>>
>>No, each individual just needs to
>>save and invest.
>
>Maybe this is nothing more than
>an individuality issue to you,
>but if a black person
>becomes successful and opens a
>business in his neighborhood, he
>will more than likely want
>to give back to the
>community and help others to
>make it. Maybe not
>all the time, but there
>is more of a chance
>he'll feel more connected to
>the people he's doing business
>with and want to help
>them, than some Korean who
>just opens a store in
>a black neighborhood and follows
>every black customer that walks
>in there.

You can't build community, 'til you build yourself.

P.S. This DELTRON 3030 shit is banging...finally picked it up today.

JMello

"Those of us who spent time in the agricultural sector and in the heartland, we understand how unfair the death penalty is - the death tax is."

"Si, I'm very concerned about the amount of acreage in cultivation for the growth of cocoa leaves."

"...it's about past 7 here, so we're actually in different timelines."

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but my predecessors, as well. And that's why I made the decision."

"I'm about to name my brother the ambassador to Chad."

"They don't seem to be flocking in right now, but it is dove season in Texas. I'm a hunter and if I decide to shoot some dove, I'll shoot 'em and eat 'em."

--President-Select George W. Bush--