Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: mostly agree...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15211&mesg_id=15264
15264, RE: mostly agree...
Posted by M2, Mon May-14-01 01:29 PM
The "Debt" is owed by Racist White America, who put a lot of Blacks in the position where their lives are defined by General Poverty AND not by their talents/intelligence or desire to succeed.

I'm neither White or Racist.

Blacks "should" help out less fortunate Blacks, but it's not repayment of a debt. By virtue of my having succeeded doesn't automatically translate into owing all Poor Blacks for every thing I accomplish.

Sacrifices have to be made by everyone, but the burden doesn't lie on the Backs of successful Blacks to make the sacrifice.

Some poor Blacks don't understand, that affluent Blacks can give too much....because they have to maintain their own standing and take care of their own. That's why I get ticked off when people start telling me I owe them for my success, particularly since I've worked my ass to get where I am....and didn't have much support from anyone besides my girlfriend and my close friends (not even my family in some cases, but we're not going there on the boards).

It's really a reaction due to some personal shit, so maybe I went to far on my post. Just by nature of living in the burbs all my life, I've had more white friends then Black ones......and the Brothas (with a noted exception or 2, you know who you are) I thought were my friends tried to screw me over when I was working my way up..(heck, I'm still doing it).

So I get a little testy, when Poor Blacks tell me that I owe them something. When they had nothing to do with my success currently, or the successes I'll have in the future. Particularly if I were to make a list of who to thank right now, there would be more Asians, Whites, East Indians & Arabs, then Blacks.

It's not that I think Black people don't support each other enough, it's just that they are plenty of cases where Blacks achieve success largely on their own two feet (yes, even us from the burbs) and then Blacks who have less have their hands out, talking about what they're owed.

Peace,

M2