Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwas thinking
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15211&mesg_id=15250
15250, was thinking
Posted by MicheleQJ, Fri May-11-01 05:53 AM
this for a long time
and actually was thinking about it this morning
interesting that you posted it

i wouldn't say fuck 'em about any of these people, because certainly they are free to use their money as they see fit

however, that being said, if you look at how much money (read, power) is in the hands of athletes and entertainers - there is the power to affect real, sweeping, radical change - right now and for the future

not talking about donating 50,000 of your 10 mil contract
more like if everyone put 9 mil of their 10 mil (or 70 of the 80 mil you got for your last movie) into education assistance, small business loans, etc etc

obviously its a far-fetched idea in this society
but the potential is there for real self-determination and empowerment if some spirit of cooperative economics would take hold

the revolution is sitting in the bank accounts, in the driveways, and on the wrists of those who have the power to collectively affect broad change

eh, i'm an idealist, what can i say?

p.s. its sad how dikembe started his hospital project thinking he'd get an outpouring of support from fellow nba players but has gotten, basically, a trickle

bling!