Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Defining race on OKP
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15191
15191, RE: Defining race on OKP
Posted by guest, Thu May-10-01 11:57 AM
>> Okay, you'll have to excuse any other blank posts I just put up, I'm still learning how to manipulate the message board, but check it...in response to your question... 1. ultimately, I feel that if a questioned is answered objectively and rationally by someone who is well informed on the topic at hand, it is impossible to determine their race...truth is truth and I don't believe it can stem from a racial perspective. 2. Forget the dialect of the text, as when we type we lack voice, tones and inflection making it easy to "impersonate" or use slang in an attempt to portray a particular race, also anyone who falls victim to this attempt at a portrayal is making an ignorant judgement themself. 3. You can't even trust statements that are blatantly racially biased as the anonymity of the net hides us. Someone could just be trying to rile heads, Knamean? Also people are fucked up, maybe there's a white dude posting "kill whitey!"like statements cuz he hate's his own race and's bugged out...etc. You can't know. 4. Damn this a tough question. 5. I think what you have to do to maybe get an idea of someone's race is pay attention to subtleties in people's posts which most likely result from their being a particular race, for example...well, this is your assignment, so you do it, read some posts and look for those little things it would be tough to consciously synthesize without having 1st hand experience. I guess if you don't have 1st hand experience it would be difficult to recognize it when you see it...Bueno Suerte.
I suppose we should all just come on this board and say "I'm White" or "I'm Black" and take eachother's word for it. That's my solution. Is it even important?

"I'ma freedomfighter reader/writer rapper'n'fan..."
--Rakaa, Dilated.

well, i'm trying to write a
>>paper for a cultural-theory English
>>Lit class about whiteness and
>>racial definition. i'm actually
>>trying to focus it on
>>the facets of race that
>>we come upon here on
>>these boards. specifically, i
>>want to write about the
>>way we establish (consciously and
>>unconsciously) our races, which would
>>otherwise be undetectable, through simple
>>text posts on an internet
>>message board. ideas?
>>reactions? i may quote
>>some of you, if so
>>i'll email you beforehand for
>>approval, clarification, etc. thoughts?
>> reactions? put them
>>up here. paper's due
>>friday, i'll be working on
>>it probably through friday morning,
>>so keep 'em coming.
>>thanks players.
>>
>>. . . . . .
>>. . . . .
>>. . . . .
>>. . . . .
>>. . . . .