Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI'm white
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15185
15185, I'm white
Posted by bshelly, Thu May-10-01 10:17 AM

That's usually how I'll deal with the issue--straight up tell people I'm white whenever I'm discussing a political issue or (sometimes) an element of hip-hop.

Why? One, I think it's important for black and white people out there to know that there are white people who take seriously ideas like black nationalism, redistribution of wealth, and Puffy's wackness. Two, I thkn it's only right that I, as a participant in a culture that has remained proudly black and Hispanic, identify myself as an outsider. I certainly don't want anyone to think I have any pretensions about being an equal member of this culture, because I think it is something you needed to grow up with far more than I did to truly fit in. Three, when I identify myself as white before anyone else does, it's one less factor they can use against me in an argument.

-----
"Dikembe is a monster, not physically, I mean that man has lion's blood running in his veins." --Whanoon

now playing: bshelly's list of eternally cool things (in no particular order)

"Black Power", old school lunches, saying Scott Stevens is on "some MOP shit" ((c) DonKnutts), Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat, Chowdafest, Maceo Parker, "Be My Baby", "what you don't have, you don't need it now", 4/20, blonds in sundresses, "Hey! How ya doin? Sorry you can't get through. Why doncha leave your name and your number, and I'll get back to you.", trading Tinky Winky's sorry-ass NHL 2001 character to the Wild and putting a bounty on his ass, and Fred "the Hammer" Nietzsche