Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectSome white boy's take..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15177
15177, Some white boy's take..
Posted by NonCompos, Wed May-09-01 02:03 PM
Well, I just read 56 responses and I'm pretty sure I agree with at least a part of each...

...I try and establish the fact that I'm white when I talk about things on these boards... I'm VERY aware of my whiteness, and so in an ongoing effort to unlearn those qualities that manifest themselves in a 'stench of superiority' (cued nailed it on the head), I mostly read the boards and take an observational position. Before I get into that, let me say of the few times I've posted on serious topics, I've demonstated those tendencies cued mentions.... just ask yogaflame... I was really unfair to him the other day and I'd say it had everything to do with my 'whiteness' in those aspects cued described. (thanks again YOgaflame your patience is appreciated)
...anyway, about observing. like I said I'm very aware of my whiteness, so if I start reading a post on Black Nationalism, it seems automatic in my mind and heart that I DON'T POST, just read. In other discussions, I might only post if I see that a post from a white person (who's clearly identified their race) hasn't offended the others posting, who I assume to be non-whites. See, I live in NH, so the prescense of non-NH-white thinking is pretty evident, b/c most people around here don't fucking think to begin with... that's another thread, but very related to this one in that my demographic (white-suburbanite hip-hop fan) provides a backdrop to how I make my way about the boards, and what I participate in. (I dream of the day when I can start a thread that's titled, "NH Okayplayers unite!")

..I have definite perception of people I've directly interacted with... like fire... I assume she's a strong black woman. I know of course this is playing off stereo types I've collected, but I'd say from both sides of the fence. But hey, I could be very wrong.

Lastly I'll say this, whether it's relevant I'm not sure: Since I bought my OKAYPLAYER fitted hat @ the Boston show (Avalon), I've gotten more comments from random people, like some guy at the SHaw's deli counter... and then some other kid at Gloria Jeans in the mall... and I've told everyone to go to the boards and start reading. But never has any of the 5 black people here in NH said anything when I see them take note of my hat. Not that I think my wearing the hat constitues a hello from a stranger, but I think it speaks to just how backwards a place this area is... and sometimes I get the feeling those people would rather me not wear the hat. I dunno. Sometimes I feel that it's yet another thing some white is taking away from a black (this is how I feel sometimes when I decide not to post). All I do know is that I feel like part of a healthy and honest community here, and all your patience with me is appreciated...