Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Defining Race in Cyberspace
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15170
15170, RE: Defining Race in Cyberspace
Posted by ChocoLaTee, Wed May-09-01 11:10 AM
I think these boards are the opposite of society. Since whiteness is not the norm here (or at least I do not perceive it to be), I almost always assume the person that is talking to me is black. It is not until they expressly say something that makes me think otherwise.

My experience in the "real" world though is opposite from yours. Most people I've met who mention their race explicitly are black because we are so used to being identified by our race. Thus, to not mention/ acknowledge it would be to not have pride in it. Versus white people, who do see themselves as the norm, have no conscious reason to say they are white b/c being silent on the issue brings about an assumption of whiteness. (So I agree with your conclusion that society sees whiteness as normative, I just draw a different conclusion based on it).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Writing can be cleansing, but there have been times in my life when even the writing is not enough to cleanse"- Stephanie Byrd

"Apparently your skin has been kissed by the sun"- India.Arie

"Sometimes it has been easy, and sometimes I pretend I am more confident than I am"- Akhaji Zakiya

"Why should I be the one who was afraid to admit how I was inclined to love, when the Reverend felt so free to proclaim how he hated"- Donna Allegra

"Hate is not a family value"- pin/bumper skicker

"I know my creator didn't make no mistakes on me/ my feet, my thighs, my lips, my eyes, I'm loving what I see"-India.Arie