Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecttrue true
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15159
15159, true true
Posted by Dove, Wed May-09-01 02:43 PM
you know what's hella funny? People on OKP know what shade I am because we speak on a personal level here and a lot of us have met. However in my writing MOST people have assumed I was a Black woman - sometimes even a man - but I've only had ONE person actually ASK what race I was. I'm neither here nor there with it, because all that matters to me is that I can 'touch' someone with what I write about - because I know there are people who feel the things I've gone through or the passions I have - so color hasn't been the biggest issue. I actually had to call and tell the editor and webmaster for one of the pubs I write for that I wasn't Black because they kept referring to me as such and I thought they'd be mad if I DIDN'T tell them... they both laughed and said they just assumed... and that was after almost 2 months of writing for them!
Fuck it - I write how I feel and what I feel and however that's perceived is in the eye of the beholder. I'm just happy that anyone gives two craps to read what I have to say at all. It's a blessing to be able to communicate with all different types of people from all different backgrounds and religions and heritages. Just a blessing.