Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNot for nuthin but....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15151
15151, Not for nuthin but....
Posted by Ape Redwood, Fri May-11-01 12:08 PM
The most active okayplayers seem to be black to me, but because of the demographics of the okayartists' customers (mostly white, like all hip-hop artists) and racially unequal access to the net, id be pretty amazed if the majority of "okayplayers" overall, meaning people who visit and post to the site, werent white. That's why utamaroho and Solarus often point out that discussions about African Nation-building on this site are not "in-house" or "keeping it in the family" and should often be undertaken in more exclusive settings.

Also I'd say white okayplayers are more likely to attempt to obscure their race consciously and unconsciously.

I think that these racial signifiers are not always as obvious as one might think over the net. White people in hip-hop are getting people sophisticated in their cultural appropriation. By the way, guess my race (for those that don't know already). Let's test the skills and provide a "case study." What about my statement here clues you into my race?