Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Leaf and Dispatroit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=15100&mesg_id=15107
15107, RE: Leaf and Dispatroit
Posted by leaf, Wed May-09-01 02:26 PM
Well...

>You can't see someone's culture thru
>the computer screen either.
That was the original question, some folks do (or try, I dunno how correct they are) some don't, the question dealt more with why some do, what are the indicators? or if not, what are the reasons

A
>person would have to tell
>you about themselves first.
Not always. You make judgments of people everyday based on what they say. Now here I'm not talking about skin, cause it's apperent in the everyday. But by watching how they talk or act, you build up preconceptions. Do they speak intelligently? Maybe they went to school. Are they wearing jewlery? Maybe they're wealthy. On the other hand, they might just work at a pawn shop. Personally, if I see a girl rockin tight white pants (are those in right now?), talking nonstop on a mobile, and smoking a cigarette, I steer clear, because I think she's a thoughtless bimbo. Preconceptions
What I'm saying is that you don't need the whole life story to start to build a background of somebody, an effect that can be translated to the internet, where you have even less to go on to learn about a person. And because race generally plays a big role in who somebody is, it may be noticed in their comments. It's not a bad thing, just intersting. Race is not as explicit as 'yes I am black' or 'yes I am white'.

So
>if you we're just typing
>with someone through the internet
>without information from them your
>mind can wonder about the
>person that may not be
>true.
Yes, but are you making those opinions based on their posts? What clues do you use? That was, I think, the question. Now whether you're right or not is a different story.

(excuse the run-on sentence
>yall) That's the point i
>was trying to get at.
Yep, consider it excused ;)
>CEO of Human Milk for America
>
>and M.I.L.K Speaker of the House
And I'm a milkaholic!

Peace,
-B

"I go to work in the morning and people give me shit. That's how I know my day has started."-Kids in the Hall