Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Why indeed?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14848
14848, RE: Why indeed?
Posted by guest, Fri May-18-01 10:16 AM
cracking nuckles, stretching neck...

OK, first off, looking at american culture (western culture) for ieas/opinions/thoughts on what is natural is just wrong. the track record is just not there, so discussing this within the american context, i.e. natural hair among african-american negroes is a waste of time (at least for the afrikan thinkers out there). thus the argument of natural styles being a "fad" fts well into the underlying ideological flow of the american cycle of style and as such, natural heads can very well be a style and should be among african-americans, "i mean what do you expect?"

secondly, the argument of natural crowns having any meaning within the american context is inconsequential because anything considered a "style" is based on the same superficial ideas as the type of car one drives in relation to income. even getting into the whole "i've seen dreaded brothers and sistas doing this and that..." argument is pointless because they're all americans within the same circle, and should be treated as such.

thirdly, african-american negroes are some the MOST LOST if not THE MOST LOST people on the planet when it comes to identity, so even in the realm of "hairstyle" one must look at them with that data included. first they are americans...let me say it again...THEY ARE AMERICANS! As stated above, to ask an american about ideas of what is natural is not wise (at least coming from an afrikan point of view).

To me perming can be likened to when Tommy Davidson and Savion were putting blackface on in Bamboozled...At first it was cool, but as time went on, it became unnerving and eventually they had to see the light. Same thing with women frying their hair. Eventually they grow old, grow bald (oxymoron i know) and then mentally grow out of it when they're too old to care about appearances. They invest in weave, wigs, and cheap clothing and jewelry to give themselves artificial self-esteem, and later on perpetuate this behavior to the youth KNOWING the physical pain they inflict upon themselves. I wont even contest the whole mental shackling to a "non-natural" image...or challenge the "accepting anothers' image of beauty" because after all we are talking about AFRICAN-AMERICAN negroes.

Unfortunately all i usually have to do is take my crown off and scratch my head, exposing my shiny healthy head of hair and black women all around start "wishing" and "admiring" and "begging for advice" when they have the solution right on top of their head but choose for whatever reason not to engage something that really works and is healthIER for them.

For my people out there who have to deal with this on the daily like i do, and watch our people do this to themselves, stay strong... and peep the Black Thought quote above this post...They know the deal... :)

(((((PEACE)))))

"Pain is weakness leaving the body." -A Navy SEALS Saying

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." -Japanese Proverb

"The conciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -Bruce Lee