Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: REALITY CHECK
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14843
14843, RE: REALITY CHECK
Posted by mermaid, Mon May-21-01 10:12 AM
>sooner or later my book will
>come out on American Arguments
>and Thought Processes BUT until
>then...

Congratulations and good luck...

>read through this board and find
>out i'm the last one
>to push a reductionist type
>ideology and am more inclusive
>and wholistic (afrikan) in thought
>than i am western...my "argument"
>is not founded on what
>your hair is like, but
>for anyone to separate their
>characteristics or essence OR better
>put, "their place and personal
>staus" within a discussion is
>PURELY WESTERN.

Read through the board and find out? Why am I not finding out right now if you truly believed thought,word and deed were manifested in every action? I'm not disagreeing with the "zen/eastern" concept at all, however, I'm just asking because from perception you seem to be a walking oxymoron. First you say that you are "inclusive and wholistic" in thought then in the next breath do the elitist move and categorize your thought as "Afrikan." But anyway, I haven't separated my obvious relevant characteristics and essence from this discussion. I am Black discussing Black hair. Where's the conflict?

You haven't answered my question because you understand that there is no need to categorize yourself in order to hold an intelligent discussion about a topic where both participants are familiar....or do you? Just because you have indentified yourself as one with locs does not add or take away anything from this conversation. It does not add any creed to your words than it would had you not disclosed that. In fact I did not ask nor did I care to know because I understand that it's not relevant information. If you have to cloud and fill your words with fluff then there must not be much substance.

Whatever...I see that this discussion is going nowhere fast. My initial point was that there is no point in getting all caught up in how someone wears their hair. It's all image and what's important is what's on the inside, hence my reason for not needing to know your hairstyle or revealing mine. If you can't comprehend that, then...

Hair is not going to make you into some different person just because choose not to put chemicals in it. You are still going to be you regardless. I also don't think that anyone has the right to judge someone or say that they are denying heritage simply because they choose to relax their hair. It's absurb because doing so places prejudices upon your own that would so adamantly criticize another race for doing.

Good day.

>only the philosophie
>of the west try not
>to take into account the
>fusion of "thought,word,deed" in every
>manifested action. I need not
>use that aspect to help
>my point because what i'm
>saying appeals to the core
>of this whole issue. That
>point is that the personal
>choices of a certain group
>of people "may not be
>their own" and at the
>same time "may not even
>be recognized by them". With
>you in particular, there is
>no argument, just an identification
>of someone wanting to separate
>themselves and position from the
>discussion...something those playing devil's advocate
>do...or those too cowardice to
>stand behind their own actions.
>it' not like you'll tell
>me your hair is fried
>and i'll attack you...that's unnecessary
>and pointless.

Your perception is your reality. Frivilous and unsubstantiated things need not be addressed. Good day.