Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Old wives tale
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14835
14835, RE: Old wives tale
Posted by guest, Fri May-18-01 08:59 AM
Well, I'm sure that using a chemical on your scalp every month of every year from the prospective age of 6 to adulthood has to do some sort of damage to your body.
As with anything, the long-term usage of a product causes it to be absorbed in the body. So, it is harmful. An old wives tale? I think not.
However, I've been reading all the posts, and I must say that I believe the majority of persons felt that learning to love yourself is the most important issue here. I'm a black woman. I love myself. And we as Black people are fighting an inner battle as well as an outward one with a society that fears and oppresses us.
That's why all being "natural" is important. It's a symbol of honor to one's self, one's history. It's a shame that some olks only see it as a fad, but I'm gonna project my inner beauty outwardly because it's imperative to show the world other aspects of life as opposed to what's ugly what' destructive about human nature. We are bombarded with those images everyday.
I feel that people get frightened by other people professing pride for themselves because they see "separatist" notions underlying that pride. I just see love and appreciation for others. I'll love you if you love me--and even if you don't love me. That's all we should practicing.
So, it's imperative that you wear an afro? Well. it's the healthier choice. And a healthly person is a stronger person. So, I promote health to all people.
But is it more important that you love yourself and project humanistic values of love and respect to other people? Definitely.