Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Cultural Identity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14806
14806, RE: Cultural Identity
Posted by guest, Thu May-17-01 04:21 AM
>>
>>
>I couldn't agree with you more!
>I just wake up,
>jump in the shower and
>roll!
>
There is nothing like it. Like you I have always had very thick and full hair. I can remember spending over an hour curling or rather burning off my hair each morning before going to school. Now I wear my hair twisted I do it every 2-3 weeks and every morning I just get up and go. The only reason that I have not cut it all off or locked it yet is because I act and the fact that my twists are not permanant gives me more versatility as an actor, but once I make a name for myself you best believe it will be short or locked.
>

So I walked into a barber
>shop and said shave it
>off! No big production,
>except that some guy in
>the shop said "girl you
>walked in here with all
>that long preety hair fine
>as hell, only ugly girls
>go natural"-BOO!

What an ignorant brother to say something like that. That just goes to show you where his head is at. His comment should have just confirmed for you the fact that you made the right decision.
>
>

>>I personally love natural hair and
>I think it brings out
>our beauty, but it's a
>personal decision, just like anything
>else. I do think
>that dreads as opposed to
>simply natural are two different
>things and concepts. I
>am not growing dreads but
>I am growing my natural
>hair out long, and people
>make assumptions based off the
>fact that I have alot
>of hair now. They
>think I'm trying to make
>some sort of statement and
>that's wack. It's my
>natural hair for crying out
>loud! Shouldn't natural just
>be normal! Nobody asks
>white girls why they grow
>their natural hair out, and
>nobody should be questioning black
>women. Imagine somebody asking
>a white women "So why
>do you have long straight
>hair?" That's just how it
>is! Same principal applies!
>
>
I FEEL YOU! My roommate wears an afro and some of the things that people say to her are unbelievable! For example "Can I touch your Afro?" or "You know you look like Jill Scott right?" Which she doesn't, Jill is beautiful don't get me wrong but they do not look alike. Someone even tried to joke and called her "Macy Scott" once!:o The sad thing is that these are other black people saying these things:-(

>The fact that people feel
>a need to question black
>women, speaks volumes to the
>history behind assimilation

It's a shame that people do think it is a "statement" and that is why some sistas are fearful of going "natural" because of what others will think. I think that people put entirely too much emphasis on Hair!

>