Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectCultural Identity
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14803
14803, Cultural Identity
Posted by guest, Wed May-16-01 09:48 AM
Just because black women choose to wear their hair natural meaning chemical free does not mean that we forget where we came from. I can remember wearing my hair relaxed for years and not wanting to go outside if it rained or it it was humid for fear that my hair would get frizzy or go flat. I can also remember not wanting to go swimming because I didn't want to mess up my newly permed hair. When I decided to wear my hair chemical free I was able to experiment with an array of styles that I would have never considered trying if my hair were still straight.

As for me I was wearing my hair natural long before I ever heard of Jill Scott. Most black women are dissatisfied with their hair because we continue or have continued to try and make it do things that it is not meant to do.

For some people it may be a trend but for others it is simply Black Pride! How can you question someone for dressing or wearing their hair in a way that makes them identify with their culture? If black sistahs want to follow behind the likes of Jill or Erykah or Lauryn Hill that is wonderful! Because we have been conditioned to follow behind the trends of white women for far too long (ie: blonde hair weaves and blue contact lenses)and for those who choose not to go the "natural" route, that's all good too.