Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Why go natural?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14788
14788, RE: Why go natural?
Posted by guest, Mon May-14-01 03:24 PM
It is definitely a fad. And I disagree with whoever it was who said that women with perms are trying to emulate European standards. Some tribes in Africa straightened their hair with grease hundreds of years ago, even before slavery. It is a cosmetic choice. "Natural" looks have been made popular now, just as they were popular in the 70s. But then, some of the women who wear locks and naturals also wear makeup. Is that natural? Personally, I don't see the point of wearing makup because you are then hiding behind a mask. So I tell people, when they ask me how can I talk black pride and wear a perm, Am I trying to go by the European standard of beauty? I ask them are they trying to go by the clown standard of beauty? I really agree that some of these women who are now "natural" wearing the dreds, and 'fros and dashikis and what not are really followers, looking for themselves.
And I think that as black women, we are fortunate to have this type of hair. We can do so much with it! I love my nappiness (even though it is permed), I love my thick lips, My clean face, my large eyes, my wide nose, and the list goes on and on. Just because I have a perm, one would definitely not be mistaken for trying to be European!