Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Why go natural?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14773
14773, RE: Why go natural?
Posted by knumskul, Mon May-14-01 07:09 AM
"To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
-e.e. cummings

It's normal (and common) for YOUNGSTERS to try to "fit in", find their identity, be independent. My niece (age 14) doesn't see how beautiful she is yet. She's still struggling with her hair, watching television, wanting to look like everyone else. I can't wait until the day she comes to realize just how lovely she really is. When you accept yourself and respect yourself (straight, nappy, curly, wavy, kinky, whatever) it's liberating. I want her to be strong enough to love who she is and not look outside herself for validity, acceptance. It's a battle, definitely. I still find myself fighting it from time to time. But ultimately, I'm happy with me. A lot of people haven't reached that mark of loving themselves unconditionally. Personally, I don't knock anyone for their individuality. I just can't respect those who do things because they feel they should or because they want acceptance from others. People tend to envy those strong enough to be themselves. Jill and Erykah wearing their hair natural (or bald in Erykah's case) are sorta giving people permission to be free, be themselves. Sure, it's a fad for SOME folks (sadly, those folks are still followers), but it's a good one in my opinion. I want my niece to see just how comfortable and lovely Jill is with her hair and hopefully get the courage to be herself as well.