Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Why go natural? x( x(
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14715
14715, RE: Why go natural? x( x(
Posted by MISSMOE, Mon May-14-01 05:02 AM
Why are we making such a big thing out of people going "natural?"
Do I wear my hair natural? Yes! Why, b/c I like it that way and it looks good. We need to stop assuming that those with a perm will fall for anything and that those natural will stand for a cause. If people are going natural simply to feel closer to those left behind in Africa that's fine but please note that hair weaving, make-up, dying, and different forms of hair relaxing started hundreds of years ago in Africa. I have worn my hair weaved, braided, permed, and wrapped. I have been respected in all forms simply b/c of the way I carry myself. From day one my parents and family taught me not only to respect myself but also to have knowledge of self. We need to look past hair and begin to educate eachother in the art of survival, success, and knowledge of self. If most Europeans have taken their style from Africans/African-Americans (hence: hair coloring, weaveing, tanning, etc.)and we label eachother as trying be more like Europeans then aren't we essentially trying to be more like ourselves?

"When the Revolution comes, Afros going to be trying to straighten their heads and straightened heads going to try to wear Afros"---The Last Poets

Wake up!!!!!!!!!- School Daze