Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWhy go natural?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14702&mesg_id=14702
14702, Why go natural?
Posted by guest, Fri May-11-01 06:07 PM
Hey everyone! I tend not to start things, unless there is a big reason behind it. So, I am going to ask the question...

WHY GO NATURAL?

I just have to ask because there seems to be a trend for women to start going natural with their hair. Is this just a fad or do you women really have a reason for doing it that deals with what they want or their individuality? Are these women just trying to play out the Afrocentric stereotype or are they doing this for themselves? Now that "natural" is popular, everyone wants to do it. Are they as bad as anyone else who follows trends?

These are just some serious quesions I have on my mind for the simple fact that I believe numerous women today are going "natural" because they are trying to emulate Erykah Badu, Jill Scott or anyone else who created their own style.

And while I am on the subject, can somebody tell me what in the world is "natural"? Is it the way you look according to a stereotype or just being yourself? Think about it. Who makes the definitions of what is to be considered natural and what is considered fake.

To me a woman with "natural" hair, afrocentric clothing, or any stereotypical image of being afrocentric is fake if they do not know who they are and why they do the things they do. They are just followers.

Let me know what ya think!

Thanks...