Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectDiversity Blues - The impact of Racism, Sexism in organizations
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14630&mesg_id=14689
14689, Diversity Blues - The impact of Racism, Sexism in organizations
Posted by guest, Tue May-01-01 07:34 AM
Written by a Black Woman in Corporate America,
Gladys Hankins, Phd. I recently attended a presentation by
Ms. Hankins and her lecture was excellent. The audience was mixed (black, whites, hispanic, asian, old, young, male and female) and she received a standing ovation after her 90 minute presentation. The book covers the how racism is perpetuated through socialization, stereotypes and insecurities and injustices practiced against black americans by the institutions that are necessary in life....judicial system, fininancial community and the belief that Black money is not as imporant as white money . Dr. Hankins resides in Cincinnati and she spoke where I work which is within 3 miles of the rioting. She also explained why the rebellion in Cincinnati over the shooting of an unarmed black teen was the last straw that broke the camels back here. Dr. Hankins who works in Cincinnati like I do knows first hand how the majority of blacks here feel. We deal with having the KKK cross protected on the cities main downtown attraction. The KKK was guarded by the Cincinnati police during Christmas when their cross was displayed. There were about 20 restaurants that closed during the Kool Fest last year. They said that their white patrons would not likely come downtown to dine during the music fest so they all decided to close. Which was a slap in the face to the 150,000 black visitors who may have wanted to dine in those restaurants. A park frequented by black teens in the summer looks like a police fort. Racial profiling is at an all time here. The lists goes on. This book is a must read if you have children. We can't survive if we do not arm our children with how to deal with the craziness in our world. --my apologies for the typos--