Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectGreat Post, The Real..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14630&mesg_id=14685
14685, Great Post, The Real..
Posted by guest, Tue May-01-01 07:25 AM
I can appreciate a post like this one because there's a huge misperception out there that Black Folk don't read. I know you've heard it. The one that goes "If you wanna hide something from n!gg@s, put it in a book." Posts like this one surely prove that to be false propaganda. Big ^^^!!

Well, anyway, here's my (abreviated) list of recommended reading:

1. All books by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, primarily his flagship book, "Message to the Blackman." It is too late in the day to have not read this book!
(note: not hatin', but there would be no "Autobiography of Malcom X had it not been for this man. Read the mindset of the man that PRODUCED Malcom.)

2. Also, from his top student, Min. Louis Farrakhan, "A torch light for America." This book literally shows the U.S. govt. how to evade the doom it has earned from Allah/God by unveiling it's flawed, wicked practices and policy by suggesting alternatives.

3. "Mecca" by Desmond Stewart. As a young brother who has yet to make his Hajj, this book is an excellent guide to the Holy City and the culture of Arabia. It gives detailed history of the Kaba and it's origins and why it is such a sacred place and the center of Islam. Great pix, to boot.

4. I'm suprised no one has mentioned "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. This book is not only one of the best books I've ever read, it actually serves as a reference guide on handling yourself in trying situations. Everything to bangin' heads on the street (if that's your thing) to bangin' heads in the conference room at work. Definitely the thinking mans book. It totally expanded my definition of "fighting."

As the self proclaimed "student of the music industry", I find myself gravitating back to the following books often. Holla at me if you've checked them out:

1. Every music industry hopeful should check out "This Business of Music" by the lawyers Sidney Shemel and M. William Krasilovsky. I think they update it every couple of years or so. Details, details, details. Every point is gone over w/ a fine tooth comb.

2. "Every thing you BETTER know about the music business" by Kashif. Considered the new "bible" of the music biz. Easy read yet covers intimate details on everything to landing the best deal to how to become a self-started label.

3. I think someone did mention this one, but it is worthy of a second mention: "Fight the Power; Rap, Race and Reality" by Chuck D. Hard core book for anyone wanting to know the inner workings of PE during their hey-day and after their fall from grace. Gives great insight to the business of rap and how to avoid the pitfalls that he fell into. He makes very powerful statements about the state of race relations (as evidenced by the title) and the state of Black America. This man should be runnin' for office.

4. Last but not least, no industry pundits library is complete w/ out the dark and brooding inside story of the music industry as detailed in the book entitled "Hit Men" by Fredric Dannen. Imagine a total history lesson on the biggest companies in the biz...and the REAL GANGSTAS that started them. After reading this, I laughed at the 'lil thug image that is now prevalent in hip-hop. The real thugs/gangstas are the ones drafting the contracts in the boardroom. You know...the contract that rapes you like a drunk college football jock would a high school virgin? Half these thugs frontin' like they hard are gettin' punked out of their publishing. Imagine Suge Knight to the 10th power.

I'm sure that Bro. ?uest will vouch that these very books have kept him aware of what lurks in the dark...

Lawyers, label execs and promoters, oh my!!
**wherewolf howl here**

...but I love that stuff. Don't ask me why.