Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYes!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14630&mesg_id=14674
14674, Yes!
Posted by guest, Tue May-01-01 05:07 PM
White Boy Shuffle is one of the funniest books I've read in a looooooong time (ever?)... but it get's you thinkin too. Beatty also has a couple of collections (of poetry) out that are both dope (Big Bank Take Little Bank -and- Joker, Joker, Duece).

As for other present and past favorites:
The Moor's Last Sigh (Salman Rushdie) - The story is about four generations of a spice trading family in India as told by the last of the line. Rushdie has a wonderfully fluid narrative style and such a way with words, adjectives especially, that you'll be able to smell the curry. It's a thick book though and wouldn't be a "quick read" at half it's 450 pages. If you've got the time to invest it's definitely worth it.

The Harder They Come (Michael Thelwell) - You might have seen the movie, so did I - it's no where close to as good as the book. It'll take you back to the good old days in the bush outside of Kingston then dump you in to the city to where ya gotta taake care a self.

The Color Of Water (James McBride) - Y'all know about this one I'm sure.

Black, White, Other (non fiction / forgot) - A collection of interviews with and profiles of mixed race folks.

Driven To Distraction (non fiction / forgot) - If you think you may have ADD or just want to know about it; this is the easiest to read, most comprehensive text I've seen.

Born To Rebel (non fiction / forgot) - About the role that birth order plays in personality development. Well researched, well written... well, read it.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail (non fiction / forgot) - Now for something completely different - An exahustively researched history of cristianity... not a religeous text, quite to the contrary. Learn about everything from the beginnings of christianity (compiled from texts that predate the new testament) to the role of the papacy (historically) secret societies (recently) in making world powers. This is some deep shit - again, not a "quick read".

Catch 22 (damn, I forgot...) - The best book of the 20th century? Has my vote. A 'modern' classic and all that, it'll have you laughin out loud. Oh yeah, talk about vocab builders! You'll never have more fun runnin to the dictionary.

I take this readin shit serious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I got no reason not to be good to me - me

Word of the moment: Prolix (pro-liks) - tediously long and wordy.