Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectLet's Recommend Books
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14630&mesg_id=14630
14630, Let's Recommend Books
Posted by The Real, Mon Apr-30-01 09:30 AM
What's up Okayplayer heads. I was at a conference Friday and was read an interesting statistic. We were told that on average a person reads .8 books a year. This is particularly distrubing being a Black male. I read about 2 to 3 books a month. I really got into reading while I was in highschool because I realized how much black history I was missing out on (the only Black history we are really taught is slavery). I feel reading is important and it should be a priority for minorities.

I'm interested in hearing what Okayplayer heads are reading or have read and would recommend. The book can be fiction or non-fiction and about any topic. I'll start by recommending this book:

The African-American Centuty: How Black Americans Have Shaped Our Country by Cornel West

<<---------------------------------------------------------------------->>

White supremacy and racism were thrust upon us - we didn't invent them. We're just by-products of the worst aspects of them. Rebuilding the Black community will involve gaining control of our own education, economics, and law enforcement. -Chuck D "Rap, Race, and Reality"