Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthere is nothing wrong with GM crops
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1456&mesg_id=1497
1497, there is nothing wrong with GM crops
Posted by chienyenwa, Sat May-08-04 06:37 AM
there are plenty of horror stories because quite frankly, science scares people. there are only two legitimate problems i have with this technology.

1)labeling - GM foods should be labeled (i think they have to be in europe but such legislation has not been addressed in the US). if you place a peanut gene in a tomato someone with an allergy to peanuts might eat the food and die. but other than specific food/gene allergies GM foods have been proven to be PERFECTLY SAFE.

2)gene drift - runaway genes in the environment could result in the destruction of biodiversity and cause hybrid "superweeds" - on the flipside its probably no different than the natural destruction in biodiversity caused by humans and human activity (how many animal species have been driven to extinction since we've been around?)

GM technology is not "new" or "unstable" - the science is well established and before any of you accuse me of being on some bullshit i'll throw the fact out there that i am majoring genetics and have done quite a bit of genetic research and i know my side of the arguement pretty damn well.