Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject..continued
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14078&mesg_id=14168
14168, ..continued
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-23-01 07:33 AM
After dinner the boats were mann’d and we set out from the ship intending to land at the place where we saw these people,hoping that as they regagard our landing.We were in this however mistaken, for as soon as we approached the rocks two of the men came down upon them,each armed with a lance of about 10 feet long and a short stick which he seemd to handle as if it was a machine to throw the lance.They called to us very loud in a harsh sounding Language of which neither us or Tupia {this man was bought from the islands to help communicate with the people of New Zealand] understood a word, shaking their lances and menacing, in all appearance resolvd to dispute our landing to the utmost tho they were but two and we 30 or 40 at least. In this manner we parleyd with them for about a quater of an hour,they waving to us to be gone,we again signing that we wanted water and that we meant them no harm.

(((((SCENE FROM AMISTAD)))))

Baldwin(white man): "I said it! I said it! But I shouldn't have. Now what I should have said..."

Translator: "I can't translate that. I can't translate SHOULD."

Roger Baldwin: "You mean there's no word in Mende for SHOULD?"

Translator: "No, either you do something or you don't don't do it."

Roger Baldwin: "What I said to you before the judgment is ALMOST how it works, ALMOST..."

Cinqué (Sengbe): "What kind of place is this?!? Where you almost mean what you say?!? Where laws almost work?!? How can you live like this?!?"

(((((PEACE)))))