Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectLEFT JAB
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=14078&mesg_id=14128
14128, LEFT JAB
Posted by guest, Sun Apr-22-01 10:45 AM
"Brainless sons boast on their ancestors." - common saying among Chinese about Europeans (especially American and British)in China during early twentieth century.

"The Chinese were equally well satisfied with their own superiority and were quite willing to humor the foreigner(European) in his harmless delusion. They treated him like the spoiled child he was, ged his vanity and cashed in on it. They buttered him with flattery, cajoled him, agreed with him, and got the better of him." parentheses mine

*"Fankwei" or "yang-kwei" means "foreign devil" or "ocean devil." Word found in Chinese coastal language, used to refer to Europeans.

"It is significant that Europeans were known to the Chinese as "yangkwei," or ocean devils, something new in their already abundant demononlogy; though it would be a mistkae to think that only Portuguese misdeeds created such monsters in Chinese facy, for their immediate successors-the Spanish, Dutch and English- did not much improve upon the Lusitanian model." -G.B. Samson, _the Western World and Japan_. ("Lusitanian model" refers to the "Portuguese misdeeds" that were the destructive actions of Portuguese conquistadors throughout Asia in the 16th century.)

"The classification of 'foreign devils' was general and tentative and was applied by individual Chinese only to foreigners he did not know. With their red faces, protruding eyes and absurdly complicated and uncomfortable clothing all foreigners had the grotesque appearance of devils. On first sight it was impossible for the Chinese to look on them as human beings like themeselves. Blondes were the worst because they were the farthest removed from what the Chinese believed to be the natural appearance of a human being. But all were bad enough. There are many country places where the foreigner is still an amusing novelty. On visits into the interior little Chinese girls, after one look at me, have screamed with terror and run to their mothers. Small boys have shouted picturesque insults from a safe distance. Old men have managed to keep their facise straight when in my presence and then roared with laughter as soon as my back was turned." -late American writer, Carl Crow, in _Foreign Devils in the Flowery Kingdom_

(((((SCENE FROM AMISTAD)))))

Baldwin(white man): "I said it! I said it! But I shouldn't have. Now what I should have said..."

Translator: "I can't translate that. I can't translate SHOULD."

Roger Baldwin: "You mean there's no word in Mende for SHOULD?"

Translator: "No, either you do something or you don't don't do it."

Roger Baldwin: "What I said to you before the judgment is ALMOST how it works, ALMOST..."

Cinqué (Sengbe): "What kind of place is this?!? Where you almost mean what you say?!? Where laws almost work?!? How can you live like this?!?"

(((((PEACE)))))