Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWord
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=13958&mesg_id=14050
14050, Word
Posted by M2, Wed May-30-01 07:36 AM

>2. combining our myriad skills to
>create a network of skills/resources.
>example - i own a
>web design firm. if you
>have a business, you should
>be able to come to
>ME and for a fair
>price and recieve quality service.
>i won't get over on
>you on the cost, or
>provide lackluster service. when i
>need YOUR service, i/you reciprocate.
> the problem here is
>not trying to "get what
>you can" at the expense
>of your folk. this "buy
>black" thing has ALWAYS been
>a good idea basically, but
>the manifestation has been piss
>poor to say the least.

I think the key here is to "Partner" with Black Businesses as opposed to "Patronize Them". I think that Black Businesses that can work together need to Partner with one another for mutual Benefit, (put ideologies aside) and work for Mutual Benefit.

Black Businesses that work on a Consumer Basis, just need to be the best....so there is no question of Buy Black or not.....everyone will Buy Black (regardless of race) because it's simply the best.

Throw out the "White people won't buy from us" arguments too. #1. Most people have no clue as to the race of the owner of a Businesses #2. Japanese Cars, because of WWII a lot of Americans refused to buy Japanese Cars....now the best sellings cars in the America are the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord...and Lexus is the best selling Luxury Brand......

>
>3. we need to become less
>consumptive of our harvest. by
>simply running through all you
>earn, you never make any
>progress for the future of
>yourself or "the next". forgot
>buying a benz, hell buy
>a hyndai and invest the
>rest. just cause you can
>afford it, don't make it
>the "best buy". by trying
>to keep up with "them"
>(and internally creating an atmosphere
>of consumption -- but that's
>another post) we're cutting our
>own throats.

Don't get me started here, see my post on Black economics.

I think a lot of Blacks are concerned with immediate gratification, while invested your money takes time. It's hard to impress upon people that they could be millionaires in 30 years if they invest right, when they can buy that new SUV right now.

What people need to realize is that no one is saying you can't have the Benz, hell I want one too...I won't front. BUT you need you buy it when it doesn't hurt your saving/investing activities.

Here is a trick I encourage EVERYONE to do when shopping for a new car, I learned it from a mentor and I'm actually working on it right now...as I shop for a new car.

Make a spreadsheet:

Going accross the top you want time E.g. Month 1, Month 2, Month 3, Month 4, etc.

Vertical:

List the Max you can afford on a car note and then add it up over time. If it's $500 you see that after year one you've paid $6,000 year 2 $12,000 etc, etc.

Then list an anticipated car payment on various cars you're looking at, this is not hard..you can get an estimate from the dealer easily enough or use an online calculator with estimated interest rates on buys and estimate lease payments.

So let's say that the note on this particular car is $400 and there is a $100 difference.

Right Underneath the row for the car payment, put a row called (amount saved/invested) because you're assuming your going to save/invest the rest.

So you get $400 month 4 $800 Month 8...after year...add a formula that adds 12% to the yearly total.(call it the rate of return on your investment)

So if you put aside $100/month..the amount in the box for Year 1 should be $1,200 + 12% or $1,344...and then keep $100 for that...after year two the amount in the 2 year box should be: $2,544 + 12% or $2,849.00 and so and so on.

Repeat for all the cars you're considering....

Basically, you'll see the advantage of buying the Accord over the BMW.

You can even see the benefit to leasing and then buying it out at the end, or just buying it straight up...etc, etc.

It's tactics like that, that really show you an accurate picture of your financial health.....and allow you to manage your money wisely.

Peace,

M2