Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Thoughts/Perspective/Myopia
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=13958&mesg_id=14025
14025, RE: Thoughts/Perspective/Myopia
Posted by Expertise, Tue May-29-01 10:09 AM
>-Be careful about reading the BE
>lists and getting excited: the
>rankings are based on revenues
>NOT profits, or cash flowing
>back to the owners. Case
>in point: Carver National Bank
>(NYC) is the ranked the
>top Black Owned Bank........based on
>revenues...BUT, it's in severe financial
>trouble.

True. In fact, I'mma try to find out how they interpret the Fortune 500 and other company rankings.

>In other words, you need to
>compare some of the BE
>companies to white companies to
>see where we stack up
>in terms of power/economic resources
>and influence.

I dont think anyone is actually making the assertion that black businesses are not on par or equal with whites. What I'm trying to say, and I think Boodah is beginning to believe is that we still have enough capital and resources to build upon. I'm not saying ole boy is worth $800 mil. But the fact that he has a business that has that made that much money is a grand accomplishment, and should serve as an example that black people can indeed make money in the US.

He's not up there with Gates, or Case, or any of those. But he is still landmarking something that few blacks have done or even attempted to do.

>Let's also look at the 107k
>wealth difference between middle Class
>Blacks & Whites.

Huh? Now this is a first. Last time I checked, the median income for whites was around 65-70K. Elaborate.

New Quotes....

Fascist ethics begin ... with the acknowledgment that it is not the individual who confers a meaning upon society, but it is, instead, the existence of a human society which determines the human character of the individual. According to Fascism, a true, a great spiritual life cannot take place unless the State has risen to a position of pre-eminence in the world of man. The curtailment of liberty thus becomes justified at once, and this need of rising the State to its rightful position. - Mario Palmieri, "The Philosophy of Fascism" 1936

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

When will the world learn that a million men are of no importance compared with one man? - Henry David Thoreau

"In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, 'Make us your slaves, but feed us.'" - Dosteovsky's Grand Inquisitor.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

And always...my favorite....
Life is insensitive, and the truth can be highly offensive. To hide from either is to hide from the reality of life. Take comfort in the fact that I am an equal opportunity offender. You today. Someone else tomorrow. You have no Constitutional right not to be offended. - Neal Boortz