Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWhite Trash
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=13827&mesg_id=13827
13827, White Trash
Posted by Chike, Thu Jun-07-01 01:26 PM
I was watching some Maury Povich ("I'm 16 and my older boyfriend is cheating!") and Jenny Jones ("My family is forcing me to strip!"). I started to think about the way most people think about poor whites. And most of us just like to laugh. "Stupid trailer trash, haha". Now, Black people and other minorites have enough problems to concentrate on without worrying about whites, but isn't it slightly wrong when we cry over our problems but make light of all the social dysfunctions affecting lots of young white people? The baby-having, the woman-abusing, the drinking, the low self-esteem... it's all very saddening. But we're too busy mocking. Even though, as you can see from watching those shows, our problems are not only similar but entangled in many lower-income areas where there are both blacks and whites. I see some of what my high school friends used to call "white trash" and I almost feel like they are more equipped to understand some hip hop than my black ass, pardon my language. But whether being poor gives you more right to claim hip hop is a whole nother question. Anyway, what do you think, people?