Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMcVeigh had the last laugh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=13617&mesg_id=13701
13701, McVeigh had the last laugh
Posted by TheSauce, Tue Jun-12-01 04:10 PM
For whatever reason, the victims of the Oklahoma City bombing watching the televised execution thought that they would get "closure" (just what does that mean anyway?) from watching the man who killed their love ones be put to death.

I don't think many of them were prepared when he looked directly into the camera, looked directly at them, showing no remose whatsoever. And I myself was actually disturbed when I read the poem he choose as his last words . . .

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=992253794687&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

Here is the poem Timothy McVeigh issued before his execution instead of making an oral statement.

The 1875 Invictus, by William Ernest Henley, a 19th-century British editor and poet, is an ode to strength in the face of suffering. Invictus is a Latin word that means undefeated.

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul

He believed he was right in his actions to his death bed.

What good did this whole event due then? Those victims are going to have to take the image of the murderer staring into them without any remose to their own graves.

There were calls from a few that he should have suffered more. Something I find absolutely repulsive, should the state get into the torture business? Should we put murderers in the Iron Maiden? Sit them on pikes? Actually I think that the most fitting death would have been a crucifixtion for McVeigh, because after all, by killing him without him showing remose, he has become a matyr. "Justice will then be served" Really? Vengance and the blood lust of a nation have nothing to do with it? Did the death of McVeigh bring back loved ones? Was that memory erased from the city's memories? No. All that occured was that the government, and therefor, the people, lowered themselves to McVeigh's level.

"We didn't suffer at all. The man just went to sleep, or as I said, the monster did. I think they should have done the same thing to him as he did in Oklahoma."

Yes, and Jeffery Domer should have been eaten, and Bernardo should be raped by the state and cut into little pieces. Yet, somehow, in the end we are better than he is, right?

An eye for an eye? (like KRS ONE said, that's Jewish theology talking, not Christian) since when does one passage in the bible overide one of the ten commandments?

To clarify a few things: I have absolutely no remorse for McVeigh, and all the sickness I feel around his death does not come from any sort of sympathy for him. Rather I feel sick that people are condoning state-sponsored murder, sinking down to his level, in the interests of vengance, not justice. You cannot telll me that now justice has been served and everything is alright. People were blood hungry, they wanted him dead, they wanted vengance, that is what this is all about.

It would have cost less money to leave him to rot in prison (the legal and court expenses from the various appeals far outweigh the cost of feeding and clothing him).

It will not deter a repeat attack: Murderers, at the time of commiting the crime, do not believe they will be caught and therefore not believe they will have to face the death penalty OR they WANT to die, as was the case in the Japan school stabings.

Damn, I could go on, but I think I'll stop here . . .

Just thought I'd throw that in there . . .

Giving you true Calcio since 1986

Marinera? Ain't that a bitch?