Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: for french speakers, the original:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=1323&mesg_id=1336
1336, RE: for french speakers, the original:
Posted by anoman, Wed Jun-02-04 08:31 PM
"They have corrupted certain of our fellow countrymen, they have contributed to distorting the truth and sullying our independence. What else can I say? That dead or living, free or imprisoned by the colonialists, it is not me that counts. It is the Congo, it is our poor people who have transformed independence into a cage where we are seen from the outside, sometimes with benevolent compassion, sometimes with joy and pleasure. But my faith remains unshakeable. I know and I feel in the depths of my heart that sooner or later my people will throw off all its interior and exterior enemies, that they will rise up like a single person to say no to a degrading and shameful capitalism and to reassume their dignity under a pure sun."

A mostly literal translation, some attempt to touch up the English. The cage bit doesn't sound very good in English, maybe that's why it was left out. I just noticed that the "shameful & degrading capitalism" line was kept in your translation, but "capitalism" replaced by "colonialism". I wonder why?