Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectGod is enough.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12923
12923, God is enough.
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Jun-13-01 05:19 PM
I used to believe God is "good". But for God to be "good" places limits on God...and there are no limits on God b/c God is everything...God is in everything, that is. God is both the evil and the good in the world. Even the Christian God does things that aren't "good". That God of the Old Testament was not "good" to the Egyptians. That God wasn't even "good" to the Israelites all the time.

But anyway, I don't believe there is a need for Satan. I think the idea of Satan is important though..and I can see why folks believe in that. It's a beautiful thing...the belief that there's this deity that's always on your side and will help you defeat this great enemy...and that YOU can help in the deity's battle as well (be a soldier in the Army of the Lord, etc). And then you get to blame the enemy for every bad thing that happens in your world...no real responsibility for you or the deity...you both stay clean...it's easy to love anybody who's so "good" to you all the time. I understand the whole thing, I tried to believe it and I might have for a time. I don't at all anymore though.