Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Got beef w/ Christianity?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12793
12793, RE: Got beef w/ Christianity?
Posted by Apocalypse, Sat Jun-09-01 07:43 PM
>Blessings Kings and Queens,
> How is everyone, hope all
>is well with you. TO
>Apocolapse (My spelling may be
>off), but great topic. Its
>not often you see a
>Christian open minded to criticsm.
>In fact, some may say
>that it is an oxymoron.

Thanks, I try . . .

>Which leads me to one
>of my biggest problems with
>Christianity or any other religion
>for that matter, which believes
>their way is the way
>to God (heaven). I could
>be wrong, but I would
>say that no one really
>knows the way to God.
>What someone may say in
>person, or in a book,
>or whatever is just their
>opinion. However, through life experience
>Christians have been the most
>close minded religion.

I agree with you on many Christians being closed minded, I'll show you why In just a minute . . .

Unless, you
>believe Jesus Christ is your
>personal lord and savior is
>the way you make it
>to heaven. Bullsh*t! What about
>someone, who has never heard
>of Jesus in their life
>or someone who has heard,
>but has their own faith?

You bring up a huge debate. Now for the record I do believe that Christ is the only way to heaven, I do believe in the inerrancy of Scripture and I do believe in hell. But keep something in mind: It wasn't until many "Christians" became ignorant that the gospel became bad news, complete with threats and promises of hellfire. Gospel comes from a greek word which is translated "good news". Long story short, to understand this, you have to understand the political climate, particularly for Jews during Jesus' life. Because Romans ran everything, when Jesus came saying that the kingdom of God was at hand and preaching it's gospel, people thought he was going to set up an earthly kingdom, but he was talking about a spiritual kingdom. That answer may not be as complete as you'd like, but I don't have much time. Later if you'd like I can explain more. As far as people never hearing of Jesus, he promised that he would not return until the gospel was preached in every nation, but it is the responsibility of believers to share the message (not force conversion, mind you, with scare tactics and such, because, contrary to popular belief, that's not God's MO.

>Personally, I dont believe the
>story of Jesus, but I
>do get the point of
>the parable. However, I feel
>if you get all caught
>up in believing and having
>to believe I feel you
>miss the point. I have
>watched countless movies that I
>know for a fact was
>fiction, but I have learned
>lessons from. Also, limiting God's
>words. Christians or maybe the
>ones I've been in contact
>with, seem to believe that
>all the truths to life
>is in the Bible. Now
>dont get me wrong, the
>Bible is a fountain of
>knowlegde . However, I have
>a huge problem with anyone
>saying tha. God has the
>ability to speak through anyone
>or anything be it a
>book, movie, person, animal or
>whatever.

Here's where I agree with you. Jesus said he was the truth (John 14:6). Now this may be radical thinking for a Christian, but there is truth out there in other sources and RELIGIONS than the Bible and Christianity. However, they all point back to Christ. I have gotten many life lessons from various books, songs, tapes, etc. that were not Christian based.

Also, any type of
>religions is based on beliefs.
>Beliefs come from culture. So
>when you adapt a religion
>you are in fact taking
>on the belief system and
>culture from whatever group the
>religion is from.

I agree with you to a certain extent. For example, when I was in Kenya four yrs. ago, people worshipped much differntly than the did in churches here. In fact, the main commonality was Christ, but the music, dance, styles of preaching, and overall worship was based on the culture. However, I do not believe that culture limits ones ability to know about certain religions and belief systems, especially with the technology available today.

Keeping this
>in mind, what culture does
>Christianity stem from? Can we
>see any connections.

Understand that culture is rooted in the word "cult", which simply means "system of worship". What system of worship is Chrsitianity rooted in? It's foundation is Judaism, with Christ totally fulfilling the entire Old Testament, all laws, covenants, and promises. Christainity itself was not used as a term until Acts 11:35 when the beleivers at the Church in Antioch were called Christians because their lifestyle was Christ-like. Remember that Christ was a Jew in practice and culture, but totally went against the grain concerning many of their rituals and practices, that's why he was killed by them.

Another issue
>I have is with it's
>application in to modern times.
>Now, I'm aware that many
>of the same truths and
>lessons would remain evident regardless
>of the times, however many
>are questionable. For example, the
>dreaded Sex before marriage. I
>totally agree with it, however
>those was thousands of years
>ago when men and women
>where well into their families
>by 21. How rare is
>that sight in 2001.

Check my sig, concerning purpose. Sex is abused because it's not used for its intended purpose, to be enjoyed and shared by a married couple for passion, intimacy, soul connection, pleasure, consummation of a covenant, and of course, procreation. Sex is probably the most spiritual physical act (understand my words, not a typo) that people can commit. Look at the condition and image of sex today. It's marketed, abused, perverted and has been turned into everything but that which it was designed to be, though all the things that it was designed to do still happen.

While
>were speaking of examples, what
>the deal with how much
>you give to the church.
>Ten percent? What the f*ck?

Concerning tithing . . . Do it tithe and give offerings to my church. Absolutely! Tithing was practiced since Abraham's days. A quick and dirty explaination . . . Tithing was practiced to sustain the priesthood so that they could tend to the spiritual needs of the people. If you read the Law, particularly Leviticus 27:29-32 you'll see the tithing process. Now the priests would then tithe off of their income, whether it be in the form of money or goods, and put it in the storehouse for the people in case of times of war and famine. That's why, whenever there were battles in the Bible, nations would always go for the other nation's storehouse, to destroy their food and resources. Now, Everything done in the old testament was typology concerning Christ. Think of it as 4,000 years of foreshadowing. The church is like unto the temple today and tithes are used (should be, if the ministry has any integrity) towards the furthuring of ministerial work. Do i believe in giving to my pastor and helping support him. Absolutely! I'm no idiot and I'm not gonna get pimped for my cash. However, I do know that a) it's not easy being a pastor, especially if he's really leading his people, b) that giving can never hurt me, provided that it's not done in ignorance and doesn't take away from my provisions for my family, and c) it's between me and God. Tithing is designed to signify that you see God as the source for all that you have (I understand that you work, etc. but at some point, God had to help you do what you do, even if it's sustaining your life and good health, you follow?). Offerings are totally up to you, if you feel that you shouldn't give, then don't. Oh yeah, nowhere in scripture did it command a Non-Israelite, or in the New Testament, a non-believer to tithe or give, so none of this applies to you anyway (You did say you were a non-believer, right, no disrespect, just making sure I have my facts right).

Just trying to shed some light on your questions. You are a mature adult, what you believe is totally up to you. Peace!

Apocalypse

"When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable . . ."