Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: communion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12787
12787, RE: communion
Posted by Jennyfer, Fri Jun-08-01 11:40 AM
is Symbolic as Wonluv stated.........

In the gospel of John Jesus explians to the crowd he just fed
that (6: 26) .....you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate loaves and had your fill. Do not wrok for the food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you."

Then the crowd referred back to the time of Moses when Isreal was in the desert for 40 years. saying (v.31) "our forefathers
ate the Manna (bread) in the desert as it is written "He gave them bread from heaven to eat"

Jesus replyed (v.32) ".....it is not moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread (refering to Himself) from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from Heaven and give life to the World"

The symbolism here is the The Manna bread Saved the life of Isreal when they were in the desert for 40 years. Christ is saying He is the Bread that will give eternal life.

I know yall are like Jenny how in the world does this go with Communion.....well im get to that right now.

Let's move over to (v.53) "Jesus said to them I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and i will raise him in the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my Blood remains in me, and I in him."

This passage precludes a direct reference to the Lord's supper
(Luke 22: 14-20) Where Christ took the bread and said Take this and eat, this is my body. Then he took the cup and said this is my blood of the covenant.... (paraphrased) Jesus stated to do this in remberance of me.

Now the symbolism is that Christ is the Source of eternal life through His sacrifical atonement on the cross. The Bread- Christ is the sustenance of One's life. The Blood - washes away the sins of the world. We practices communion in the rememberance of Christ's sacrifice for the world. These passages is where it stems from.

Disclaimer-- Christ does not teach that receiving the sacrament of communion is the requirement for eternal life. He teaches that Only Trust and belief through His sacrifical atonement is salvation received.

Disclaimer of the Disclaimer....The ritual stems from Luke and Paul recording that Christ asked for us to continue this. John (6: 53) reinforces the symbolic use of bread and wine.