Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: the problem is this:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12735
12735, RE: the problem is this:
Posted by djrav, Fri Jun-08-01 04:44 AM
>People don't fuss at Black Muslims
>for saying that the White
>man is the devil.

I think there are a lot more people who fuss about this then you may think.
>
>But they fuss at Christians for
>believing that Jesus (who was
>a Black man) is the
>son of God.
>
>That pisses me off.

I have a question....and I am not trying to be an ass, I am sicerely asking: how was Jesus a black man? I thought he was Hebrew (ie. Dark eyes, dark skin, and dark hair, but looking more like an Arab or middle eastern person as opposed to Black) Which one is it, and how do we know?

>What does it matter whether or
>not someone is a Christian
>if they are a good
>Christian?

True. Unfortunetly there are many non-Christians who have had bad experiences with a Christian at one time or another, and stereotypes occur. I have a lot of people like this on my campus...they see me, and since I am coloured, they assume I am not Christian, and come to ask if I am interested in discussing the Bible with them. When I say I am not interested right now, they ask me my religious beliefs, and then let me know that Christ said you must accept him, that he's the only way, and in many cases, begin to belittle my beliefs. Now, I know they are not reflective of TRUE Christians NECESSARILY, but if these are the Christians I regularily come into contact with, obviously biases occur. Many find it offensive that these people have just met them, but they are already assuming their beliefs are totally invalid, and that their religion (which could be 1000's of years old, or part of they're family for generations) is invalid becuase Jesus "said so".

>Why can't a Christian believe what
>they want to believe without
>people condemning them?

True. They have the right to believe what they want, but I think most non-Christians's problems deal with forcing those beliefs on others, or belittling someone else's beliefs. I understand that a lot of Christians say that "evangelican" approach is a part of their beliefs....but come on, can't you see why people feel violated by it?

>Just because you call yourself a
>Christian doesn't mean that you
>are a child molester or
>a hypocrite or close
>minded.

True.

>By the same token, just
>because you hate Christianity doesn't
>mean that it's wrong for
>me to practice it.

Also true.