Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I do have a relationship
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12701
12701, RE: I do have a relationship
Posted by Nettrice, Fri Jun-08-01 08:59 AM
>I challenge you to do a
>background study on Christ, his
>teachings, His history, and the
>inerrancy of Scripture.

I did study...for 17 years. I went to Bible study, to Sunday school, vacation Bible school, etc. I read the Bible, joined Bible study groups as a teen and talked to others about the teachings of Christ. My mother has a degree in philosophy with a focus on theology.

One day, when I was a teen, I began to ask questions in Bible study that people could not answer. They would give me scriptures and they did not answer my questions. My mother was mentally ill, my father violent and unsupportive. My family was unsupportive and I was alone. The church was supportive to an extent and I found some inspiration in the Bible. There were Biblical references that implored me, the reader, to seek God, not in other men but in myself.

>If you look at
>Christ's teaching, if he were
>just a man, a prophet,
>etc. then none, absolutly none
>of what he said, did
>or stood for was true
>and he was the biggest
>liar, lunatic, con artist, and
>demon that ever graced the
>face of the earth. Everything
>that he said of himself
>had to be true or
>nothing was true.

How do you know what Jesus said? Were you there or did someone hear and interpret what he said? Men interpreted what Christ said and these points of view, their writings became the New Testament.

Reading, analyzing, and interpreting religious text/doctrine is one thing. Joining one religion because another person or group claim it's more righteous is another thing. Living my life according to what I believe is Divine purpose is another. My purpose is to know how I need to live my life in order to find peace, love and joy. This is the most important thing.

>Question: do you believe in the
>Resurrection?

See above. Living my life according to what I believe is Divine purpose is another. My purpose is to know how I need to live my life in order to find peace, love and joy. I have faith that I am connected to God and to spirit. I have faith that I am taken care of through that connection. I leave everything else to God and to those who need to believe in the resurrection of Christ/Christianity and other religions. I believe in my faith.

I guess I am too much of an individual to follow Christian/religious doctrine but I am not afraid to find inspiration in the teachings of Christ and the Bible, along with other teachings and other religions and other books.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"