Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Got beef w/ Christianity?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12695
12695, RE: Got beef w/ Christianity?
Posted by Nettrice, Thu Jun-07-01 12:01 PM
I was raised Baptist (Christian), baptised when I was 7, and I was very active in church until I was 17. I read the entire Bible when I was 17. I still felt like there was something missing. In fact, I felt disconnected and lost. I read the scriptures and prayed a lot but I needed more. I needed something that addressed me as an individual, addressed my personal experience.

It's like I had a serious problem and I was listening and reading scripture that was good as a general recommendation but it did not address what I was experiencing. I needed to know my purpose, my path.

Church was a way to give of my time (service). I decided to take my issues to God, one-on-one. Soon I started noticing that whenever I prayed, I would have answers and I discovered my purpose.

That being said, I do not have a beef with Christianity specifically. I do find that religion, in general, has little meaning for me as an individual. I understand that many people need it for guidance. However, I made my one-on-one connection spiritually and I live a great life.

For me Christianity missed the boat on providing contemporary answers, on how to turn obstacles into opportunities, how to deal effectively with adversity, etc.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"