Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Got beef w/ Christianity?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12688
12688, RE: Got beef w/ Christianity?
Posted by guest, Wed Jun-13-01 08:19 AM
"the reason why i asked that is because jesus wasn't christian.he was hebrew.and if christians are truly to be "christ-like",why don't they follow the religion that he followed? "

What is your definition of Hebrew? Are you a Hebrew because you are a descendant of Abraham, the father of the Hebrew people? If this is so, then as a follower of Jesus Christ, I too am Hebrew, according to that definition.

It says in the book of Galatians 3:27-29 "For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ(Christ from the greek word "Christos" which means the anointed One and His anointing)have put on Christ. There is neither Jew(Hebrew) nor Greek(non-jew), there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are YE ABRAHAM'S SEED, and heirs according to the promise."

So according to this scripture, I am Hebrew. But you may say then, why do I call myself Christian. Well first of all, the first Christians didn't call themselves Christians, they called themselves Jews. But because of persecution by the Jews, the Roman government refused to recogonize them as Jewish people because they followed Christ who the Jews considered to be a false prophet. But to give them a name so they could be identified, the Roman people started calling them Christ-ians or Christ like ones. People who are Christ wanna-bees so to speak. It was actually meant to be derogatory but the name stuck because these "Jesus following" Jews and gentiles accepted the truth that they did want to be Christ wanna-bees. Apostle Paul commanded the saints to follow him as he followed Christ. The word follow coming from the greek word "mimeomai" which means to imitate.
So we stuck with the name Christian which just simple says we are imitators of Christ. You say that Christ followed Jewish law. He had to or else he would have sinned and would be disqualified from being a sacrifice for all men. Jesus being the sacrifice and making the way for His followers to have the Spirit of God, there were a lot of things in the Law that no longer applies to us. The law was given to the Jews on tablets. But now that we have the Holy Spirit, the law of God is in our hearts. God has made me righteous with Him, without the law. Because the law couldn't make me right with God because in order to do that I would have had to keep all His commandment perfectly without making a mistake. This of course was impossible for mankind. So God got someone else to keep all the commandments and be the final sacrifice. And then for us who believe in Jesus, we are in Him and heir to all the promises made to Abraham. So I am the seed of Abraham. Not by birth, but by adoption. But I will continue to call myself Christian so that people will know that I am follower of Christ, not the Law of Moses.

So in a sense, I still follow the same beliefs of the Hebrew people. I still worship the same God. But I don't follow Jewish law because the law could not make me right with God. Adam, before he sinned, never followed the law, yet He was right with God. Abraham, 2000 years later, also never followed the law. The bible says he simply believed God and it was accounted unto him for righteousness. Isaac, Jacob, nor his 12 sons followed the law. So the law came in for a short time. The bible says that the purpose of the Law of Moses was to serve as a tutor and govenor over the Jewish people until a certain time as appointed by the Father(Galatians 4:1-3). So for 1500 years or so, Hebrew people remained under this tutor until the fullness of time had come and salvation had come into the world. The only thing which seperates Christianity and Judaism(as most people know it) is the Law of Moses. But we are not of the faith of Moses, we are of the faith of Abraham, who did not have the law of Moses. Being of the faith of Abraham means we get our righteouness or right standing with God the same way he did, by believing.