Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: then please explain
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12617&mesg_id=12650
12650, RE: then please explain
Posted by Apocalypse, Fri Jun-08-01 07:25 AM
First, I don't mean any disrespect to you, you dig?

Baptism is an outward showing of an inward commitment and change. The symbolism is the going under signifies the "old man" that you were and the coming out of the water signifies the "new man" that you are. Now . . .

You DO NOT have to be baptized to be saved! Just like you don't have to wear a wedding ring to be married. It is an outward sign of an inward occurance. Baptism comes from the greek word baptizo, which means to be immmersed/submerged. Washing was often done by Jews using immersion, hence the cultural significance. Baptism was continued by the early church, but was not something that would keep people out of relationship with Christ, but it was considered very important. It was a sign of your willingness to publically confess Christ, because keep in mind that Christians were being martyred for their belief then (and many now in other countries). There were numerous people throughout the Gospels that came into relationship with Christ without baptism (the Sarophynecian woman in Matthew 15, The woman at the well in John 4, etc.). But it is a consensus that if you have accepted Jesus, you would get baptized, just like if you ask a woman to marry you, you will get her an engagement ring, though there is no power orability in the water or the ring.

Original sin takes some explaining, meaning in the basic sense we can talk about Adam and Eve in the garden with the pomogranate, the serpent, etc. but for some reason, I don't think you're buying that simple of an explaination. When I have more time, possibly this weekend I can elaborate further (I've got work to do now). My email is hortoninc@hotmail.com. Send me your email address and I'll give you somemore info. Also give me specifically what you want me to respond to.

Peace

Apocalypse

"When purpose is not known, abuse is inevitable . . ."