Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectshe wrote
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=12577&mesg_id=12590
12590, she wrote
Posted by guerilla_love, Thu Jul-05-01 10:57 AM
two books that i know of offhand: "to be real; the changing face of modern feminism" (an anthology that she edited) and "black, white, & jewish"

i couldn't believe it, when i first heard her speak (now i've seen her twice) because she was so right on about so much. she talks a lot about the way that people embody contradictions and having one feminist archetype that every good feminist should strive for is counterproductive and all kindsa stuff like that.

she founded the third wave foundation in nyc, working to spread her ideas and beliefs.

at first her mother about did a backflip when she heard what her daughter was up to because it was so radically different from what she had always believed and strived for, but i believe that rebecca is gaining the support of her mother and mothers' friends slowly but surely.

i think she was even voted one of the most influential up and coming young leaders (by who? when? i don't remember)- but to be real includes essays by bel hooks and danzy senna and a whole buncha other stuff.

you would be happy to know, too, that the way i found ntozake shange was by going to a rebecca walker reading that featured 3 authors, one of which was ntozake, who was *incredible* and talked a lot about trying to be a vegetarian when she was raised by a meatloving ghanan couple.

==**peace**==

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word